• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone ever use c channel for rock sliders??

spikyhair87

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever used c channel for rock sliders??

I have a hook up that can get me as much 3" and 4" c channel as i want for free.....

at its smallest thickness is 1/4" So i think strength would be fine...

I would plan to use the "flat" ends downward and notch the actual channel so the "support" piece would mate up tight in sort of a "T" shape then I would Weld all round the contact points.....

of course I would tie it into the pinch seam as well and then weld it to some 1/4" plate that I would use to bolt it/ self tap?? it to the "frame rails"....

I would also "plate" the front and back portions of the rails so it will slide over things instead of hang up on them....

any thoughts.... ideas.... concerns... it of course is better than nothing and For Free (minus time and welding supplies) why not??

Just weld the C channel to the frame as frame stiffeners. It will be heavy but worth the added strength.

No serriously I built a bumper out of C once. I wouldn't build anything out of it again. Free is good. Paying to have something you won't slice your shins on when you get in and out of your jeep is better. And the word overkill comes to mind.

Here is an example of what i was talking about....

sliders1.gif

sliders2.gif

sliders3.gif

the flat parts would be faced towards the ground....

the entire slider will be tucked up tight and wouldn't allow for any skinned shins.....

A few cons are that it can hole mud up there.....
It is heavy... (aren't most sliders anyhow???)
it wouldnt protect the doors much.... (unless I make some sort of bar that extends...)

any other ideas/comments... I figure for free its hard to beat...

I know 200-300 dollar sliders work/look nice however in an economy.... etc ....with a college student's budget I can justify the extra spending....

I get what you mean. Go for it if you have the time and tools. Just make it removable so when you get out of college and land that amazing job you can do some good ones. Look at the design of most, they bolt into the pinch seam by the rocker. Just bolting into the frame rail is not enough strength. You might be best off keeping your eyes out for someone selling some sliders. There was a guy I just saw today in cali selling AJ's sliders for $75. He wanted local pickup though :rattle:

Char-broil- Thanks for the kind words... Yeah If i find sometime i think ill go for it... sure to post some build/completed pictures when done...

winko- I haven't fully modeled the rest of it... Basically you have another "corner" like that... then at each end they will slant upwards to allow for it to slide over things instead of hanging up on something....

If i do model the rest of it ill post up a picture for ya....

Thanks for your guys input...

anymore input would be great!

Here is my concern -
Most rock sliders distribute the force of landing on a rock across the entire rocker. They aren't anchored 1/4" below the rocker's sheet metal at ride height AND when you land on them - the mounts arent NEAR strong enough for that.
If you mash the two skinny sides up into the rocker, you are going to F your sheet metal up instantly. You need to distribute the force across a much greater area than those two 1/4" fins.
Or am I misunderstanding your mounting strategy?

my thought was to mount them to the frame rails with 2 contact point (via plates and bolts or self tappers...)

then have a piece of angle welded to the two support pieces(that run to the frame rails) that ties into the pinch seam....

Maybe the pinch seam is much lower than i have previously thought and this "idea" won't give me that "low" profile look... or will cause damage to the floors as suggested by yossarian.....

Ill have to take a look at it more.....

Back