• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vehicle liens in TN

bigalpha

If you buy a vehicle with a lien on it, do they issue you a title?

Basically, CARFAX is saying a lien was issued against the title from the PO from before I bought it. Doesn't say that the lien was paid.

I have a title for the MJ, but there is no indication on the title that there's a lien against it. How can you look that up to find out?

As far as I know, if there is a lien then whoever is owed the money hold onto the title. So if you have the title I would imagine that there is nothing owed. Going to the tag place would likely be the best route.

Yah it's basically like going to one of those title loan places. You give them the title and they hold on to it until you pay them everything back then it gets mailed back to you. So if you have a title in your hand signed off to you take it to the registration place and get the tags done and title changed into your name.

Thanks for the replies.

Basically, I thought I was issued a title for the XJ even though USAA holds the lien on it. I thought they issued the title with it marked that there's a lien on it.

IN VA in will say there is a lien, and when paid off there will be a stamp on it, if you have the original title. Lots of time if the vehicle has had more then 2 owners it will not show a lien.

Every state I've registered a car in there's lein info on the title when it's registered. When the lein clears the DMV issues another title with the lein info cleared off.

a lein can be put on a vehicle, you basically have to find out who and get them to give you a release on it so you can register it, the DMV can tell you the proper procedure for it, the DMV will require you to make the effort by registered mail or something, if no response comes from the lein holder then they will let you register it, like I said, talk to the DMV and find out the proper procedure for it

Well, the truck is registered and I have a title and at no time did the issue of a lien come up during the process. The title also does not say anything about a lien, either.

If there was a lien on the title, it would be stated clearly on the front, right?

If there was a lien on the title, it would be stated clearly on the front, right?

Yes it is printed very plainly on the front, and until they sign off on it and give it back to you they own it basically (at least thats how I understand it to work in AL and TN cant be too different).

Just go register the darn thing :twak:and when they tell you that Billy Bob from Bush Stump TN owns it then you can rant and rave :smsoap:about how you got screwed.:firedevil

Have a nice day.:D

Then why are you worried about a lien? If it's in your name and ALREADY registered in your name there can't be a lien on it or you couldn't have registered it in your name in the first place. Right?

I don't know - that's why I asked :D There was a sheet that's attached to the title that explains how to get rid of a lien on a title so I was curious.

Ahhhhh. :idea:

Listen here Stumpy, I haven't got ON yet!!!!!

Back