• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check this out!!!

:roflmao: go buy a club... or did they give out a generic key for those too :)

They are real key and there coming from Interstate Auto Liquidators in Vancouver its some sort of sweepstakes. And a club wont help the fact that they can get in your rig. My jeep has already been broken into once I dont need it happening again. The sad thing about all this is I didnt win a new car i won a vehical I already own.

My company employs several guys that would probably be considered the best locksmiths/service techs in the country - I've verified with several of them that this is a virtual impossibility. There is no such thing as a master key for any auto manufacturer. That's not to say that there aren't other vehicles out there that share the key number (cut pattern), but the chances are slim that a thief will walk up and try his key in your lock and strike gold.
You can, however, obtain a key code using your vehicles VIN code through an authorized service department (at a dealership - not sure about independent shops), but this requires proof of ownership. If someone at the parts counter were to make a key for someone other than the owner of a vehicle using this method, the guy standing behind the counter is legally responsible. Knowing this, they take the responsibility VERY seriously.
Yes, you can order a key BLANK, but this won't open the door to your rig or start a Harley until it's cut.
Vehicle key cylinders are typically more complex than anything you'll find in your home's key cylinders (cam vs pin & spring), and are therefor more difficult to "fool" with a loosely made duplicate. If the news story is valid, I'd say it was just a 1/1,000,000 chance that the keys started both vehicles. I'm sure upon further inspection, the authorities would find there's something else at play here.

Yeah i work in the auto industry you need registration to match the persons ID before you can order a key. other wise like boostleak said the parts guy is liable

i have a key that is made for MY cherokee. and it still wont make the thing move.

good luck

Story sounds like a lot of bull to me, my cherokee key was double sided i.e. had ridges cut on both sides, my harley key looked like your typical house key. Not to mention if thats his key in the picture and they key he got in the mail, they look very dissimilar.

Back