• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Matching paint...Older gray to spray can?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I just picked up a new rig (to me). It's an '88 XJ limited and it's that gray-ish silver-ish color.

I was wondering if anyone knows of, or has had any good luck with any specific paint being a perfect/near perfect match? The hood is peeling and I'd like the paint it, but I want it to match.

~Scott

You will never get it to look good with a spray can even if you get it colormatched.
To do it right and so it will last you can ask a body shop to paint the affected area(s) only.
It cost me $800 for the shop to sand, primer and paint the hood, roof and rear hatch on my '93. If it's metallic (I had that same silver/ gray paint) they can blend it to look just like the rest.

It's a trail rig/DD...I don't care if the paint looks great, I just want something as close as possible to the stock color.

Why pay the shop to do something when it's just going to get scratched and dented anyways? I only paid $650 for the rig anyhow.

~Scott

P.S. Not that I don't appreciate your input, but it was just not what I was asking.

You can get premixed matched paint from any number of vendors online - you give them your make/model/year and the paintcode from your body VIN plate and they mix it up and ship it to you. Cost me a hundred bucks to get a pint of paint, a pint of clearcoat, and I think I got a pint of primer too. Just make sure you sand/surface prep well and get a 20 or 30 dollar hvlp gun at harbor freight.

Back