• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

full detroit, manual trans, daily driver

Mike H.

NAXJA Forum User
how bad is it really?
I'm running Detroit true tracs now, and getting on or off the gas mid corner has an effect on steering angle required to hold said turn.
Shifting thru the gears around turns requires a little steering input to keep centered in my lane.
So, I'm used to that type of action...
Of course the true tracs never make any noises, and only make the rig shift if getting in/out of the gas.

So, just how bad is a Detroit locker in a manual transmission daily driver?

BTW, the last thread I saw when I searched was from 2005... so there have got to be more than 5 people that can offer input now.

Been running a Detroit Locker in my 98 XJ 4.0L 5 spd since '02.
One recommendation would be to use synthetic gear lube to give the locker better road manners...
The only times the locker is noticeable would be when turning a corner IF you slow down and then accelerate, IF you are driving in snow and come to a stop... when you accelerate the backend will want to slide out especially if there is a dramatic crown in the road.... and when making sharp turns in a parking lot.... the tires will bark at you as the locker loads and unloads....

Otherwise during general daily driving... you will not even notice its there....

Last edited:
Steering correction with a full Detroit will be worse than with your Tru Tracs. Most people that I have talked to didn't like a full Detroit in the rear of a manual. I've driven a YJ with full Detroit a couple of times and I could put up with it - but most don't like it.

Steering correction with a full Detroit will be worse than with your Tru Tracs. Most people that I have talked to didn't like a full Detroit in the rear of a manual. I've driven a YJ with full Detroit a couple of times and I could put up with it - but most don't like it.

I have a 97XJ with manual transmission and full detroits front and rear. I've driven it as a DD for a while and then when I decided it's time to save it and not beatup on the streets I still drove it to and from events (like a long haul from SoCal to Moab). I have no complaints about it on ANY type of surface in any weather. I think a big part of how it behaves is quality of installation AND good lube. I have been running 140/85 synthetic of synthetic blend since day one and I have no complaints about it whatsoever.

I recommend staying with Dyno oil. It is thicker and helps quite down the locker. You won't see any improvements in the locker with synthetic. As far as DD it with a manual, I do and have for years. It is nothing like your trutracs which are nearly invisible. It clangs and bangs and will throw you into the next lane if your not carefull when getting on the gas. Driving in the rain and snow is fun and I love it. But I would never let anyone else drive my rig during these conditions as it is dangerous. If you do get one I wouldn't doubt if you hate it your first week of driving it. After that you learn how to drive with it.

I recommend staying with Dyno oil. It is thicker and helps quite down the locker. You won't see any improvements in the locker with synthetic. As far as DD it with a manual, I do and have for years. It is nothing like your trutracs which are nearly invisible. It clangs and bangs and will throw you into the next lane if your not carefull when getting on the gas.
Hmmm yous is misbehaving and you're suggesting to do what you do? hmmm.....

why not just opt for a electric locker? perhaps and ARB? theyre all full case lockers so your going to have to setup your gears agian anyway, why not throw another $200 for an eaton E locker? now, if you were going with a lunchbox one it would be different for 3 reasons... 1, its half the price.... 2, it can be tossed in with standard tools pretty easily... and 3, its going to be a lot quieter than a full case detroit. If you wheel your rig so hard taht the strength of your locker is a concern, why not keep it a trail rig? just my .02 cents

why not just opt for a electric locker? perhaps and ARB? theyre all full case lockers so your going to have to setup your gears agian anyway, why not throw another $200 for an eaton E locker? now, if you were going with a lunchbox one it would be different for 3 reasons... 1, its half the price.... 2, it can be tossed in with standard tools pretty easily... and 3, its going to be a lot quieter than a full case detroit. If you wheel your rig so hard taht the strength of your locker is a concern, why not keep it a trail rig? just my .02 cents

Not sure about OP but electrical or air lockers have one tiny bit of a problem... they add one more potential point of failure....

I ran a detroit in the rear with an auto, not bad. Swapped my auto for a manual, still had the detroit, didn't feel that bad. I didn't notice how bad it actually was until I got an ARB. Big difference. Point is that it isn't as bad as some may say, but it isn't all that great either. Run what you got and make the best of it.

Full time locker= Driver input and control is a must=means 2 hands on the wheel and pay attention...

get it run it and love it... Just don't drive like a bozo in the rain or snow and you'll be good...

themud

i have a full detroit and LOVE it off road. i tolerate it on the road. i still think about getting an ARB for the rear sometimes. drove a couple-a-hundred miles this weekend, and the on-off-on through a turn got old after a while. certainly kept me awake

Hmmm yous is misbehaving and you're suggesting to do what you do? hmmm.....

I do not beleive it to misbehaving whatsoever. My fullsize has a detroit as well, and I have driven several other vehicles with them. Each the same, however the shorter wheel bases, and lighter vehicles experiance more torque steer. Dana 35's and other c-clip differentials without the soft locker are even worse.

My experiance working on diffs has shown good old dino oil to work better in Jeeps and other offroad vehicles. In a hard towing application or a sports car application I will sometimes change it up. But again this is just my experience and preference.

welcome back! i thought i smelled bad advice~! =)

thanks for all the comments so far.

ARB, it is the alternate on my list of considerations.
There is a ton of information on NAXJA regarding the ARB so I do not need this thread to go that direction.

"How bad" is really a matter of opinion.

The Detroit has harsher torque steer and will require more attention and driver input than a TruTrac. As you get on/off the gas, it will shove you around in the lane (you WILL notice its there....).

My son was taught how to drive in a CJ with a full Detroit and manual tranny - he'd see it as "not bad at all." My XJ DD runs a Detroit rear/TruTrac front but with an AW4/NP242 it's easy to drive in the rain and snow as full-time negates the behavior issues of the Detroit. My wife calls the CJ "unstreetable" and the XJ "barely tolerable" choosing a TJ with twin ARB's as her daily driver.

because detroits are simple, no air lines or electric motors ect. i want to see a 18 year old arb that hasnt been rebuilt and that works like new, my dads detroit is just like that, original parts and he bought it in 92 and it works fine today.

Back