• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'97 xj hard to start

black2door

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 4.0 5 speed cherokee is having a real hard time starting lately. When i turn the key it cranks like 7 times and sometimes more like 10 times. It seems like its not getting enough fuel to start or something. The battery and starter are good it just takes forever. Would it do any good to run some kind of cleaner through it.

-New plugs last month

THANKS

I have had the same problem with my 97 XJ. It kept getting worse and worse until it would not start. I replaced sensors and checked everything with no results. Then an individual in another forum explained that the computer plugs need to be cleaned out once in a while.

I disconeccted the battery and found some small wire. I then disconected the plugs to the computer and used the wire to clean out each little hole. I plugged everything back together and it started good after the first start and ran good since.

It is worth a shot, can't hurt anything (like your pocketbook.).

Are the computer plugs the 6 little plugs to the right of the valve cover with a little orange on top and two wires coming out of them?

It was right next to the stock air cleaner box. Between that and the drivers side fender. It had three large plugs plugged into it.

I had that happen to a '98. For me it was the fuel pump. The first time I threw some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank and it work for a little while. (I see no reason for it helping but it did) Then when the fuel pump got real bad the jeep would stall making left hand turns with under 1/4 tank of gas.

I haven't helped at all, have I?

andyszafran said:
I had that happen to a '98. For me it was the fuel pump. The first time I threw some Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank and it work for a little while. (I see no reason for it helping but it did) Then when the fuel pump got real bad the jeep would stall making left hand turns with under 1/4 tank of gas.

I haven't helped at all, have I?

Mine stalls on low tank making lefts too. Figured it was just a poorly placed fuel pick up. I do have to give the fuel system time to presure up before starting too though so maybe they are related.

Back