• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need gears done around salem for cheap

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
I got one quote already from state flags (i think that's their name?) and it was about 700 an axle including spicer gears. Seems a bit steep to me. Anyone know of some cheaper spots? HP30/D44 I want 4.56's

I got mine done in newberg at drivetrain specialties, it was like 8-900 dollars for both axles regeared, lockers installed, and sye installed, I just took them the parts though only had them do labor.

this was 2-3 years ago though, they do good work, but I would call for a price update.

Holbrook or Sixstates seems like everyone i talk to raves about they're gear installs.

sixstates seemed a bit steep for me. 700 for spicer gears and labor (for EACH axle) it would come out to 1400bucks!!!!!Way too much for me...maybe i will have to stick with 3.55's a bit longer

theres a 3rd generation trans/axle guy that is a friend of the family...
"Bob Reams" he has done manny O axle upgrades, t-case, and Trans work for us over ther years. located in a small shop in independence. im know he'll be cheper than 1400. indy not to far away from salem. pm me if u need his contact info.

sixstates seemed a bit steep for me. 700 for spicer gears and labor (for EACH axle) it would come out to 1400bucks!!!!!Way too much for me...maybe i will have to stick with 3.55's a bit longer
have you got the prices on the parts? i would expect to pay roughly $600 for the parts alone. then add atleast $400-$600 for labor.

Also, pulling the axles yourself will often times cut down on labor cost.

Parts should run you around $600 (gears, install kits, carriers), and labor at the minimum will be around $300 for two axles. Expect to pay $900+ easy.

Its all about how much work they have to do.

I pulled both my axles and brought them to "Dans Gears" In Shearwood. Thats all he does is setup gears.

He charged me 350 an axle for putting in 4.88's and Arb's in each. I purchased the gears and lockers from www.completeoffroad.com

Which is a great site. Funny thing is, even when you buy the cheaper gears... they are Yukon, they are just not advertised as such on the site.

If you plan on locking your axles.. I would wait until you have ALL the parts and get it done in one shot. It will be cheaper in the long run.

I have a guy here in gresham that will install gears if the axle is out of the rig for $130 each. he did mine and I have had no problems. He also does custom axle setups and disc brake conversions. He is my buddys father in law and has 25+ years experience. I would recomend him to anyone that needs axle work!

I have a guy here in gresham that will install gears if the axle is out of the rig for $130 each. he did mine and I have had no problems. He also does custom axle setups and disc brake conversions. He is my buddys father in law and has 25+ years experience. I would recomend him to anyone that needs axle work!
I want to keep this in mind, i think your buddys father-inlaw could see some business from me around tax time:cheers:

Back