• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got an AMC20 today

89RockHeep

NAXJA Forum User
so i had to buy it(20 bucks and a 12 pack), came out of an 86 comanche, so i know its got the right width and bolt pattern and....open 4.10s. from what i gather about this axle is it is MUCH better then the the two piece axle shaft CJ counter-part.it has 8 7/8 ring gear, 29 spline one peice shafts,3 inch tubes comparable strength to a Dana 44. i want to lock it probaly a lock rite, but the real purpose of this thread aside from the install im going to be starting on monday, is where can i find shafts for this thing? i have searched around and havent found much, including,here,pirate and google. found lots of specs but not anything specific to the mj 20, like shaft lengths or just aftermarket shafts existing, i really dont wanna have to have blanks cut, cause then il be forced to order 2 sets just to make sure i have spares, as this is my DD i cant wait a week on a blank to be cut and shipped so any clues or nods in the right direction anybody? to late for pics get some up tomorrow, this thing does seem beefy aside from the diff cover feelings like i could probaly kick it in.

The shafts are rare they actually neck up to like 1.5 inches and neck down again... bearings are the same as a dana 44, but you need to take out the shafts and measure them for Dutchman or Moser or a custom shaft manufacturer. Yukon will just say, huh? I think early 80's waggies used the axle so just get a set from them and use your brake drum as a pattern to redrill the flanges for your bolt pattern (I had this axle with a Detroit and 4.56's).

how did you like it? yea im not afraid to redrill, and yea the 80-86 waggie used them i believe(dont quote me on that one) i just didnt know if there the same shaft width, but thanks, seems like il have to be saving up for a set or two of shafts, ive heard dutchmans are extremely reasonably priced, but snail mail order only?

And I'm thinking if I'm having blanks cut might as well see if I can find something 30-33 spline from detroit...seems pretty beefy to me for 35's any way

The AMC20 is nothing special, But superior makes shafts for it.

Superior does not make shafts for this particular axle. They do make one piece axles for the much narrower CJ model 20.

how did you like it? yea im not afraid to redrill, and yea the 80-86 waggie used them i believe(dont quote me on that one) i just didnt know if there the same shaft width, but thanks, seems like il have to be saving up for a set or two of shafts, ive heard dutchmans are extremely reasonably priced, but snail mail order only?

Yeah... liked it fine. It handled 35x14.50x17 IROKs on a built YJ just fine. I too got it cheap, but it is fairly expensive to build. I did bust a shaft on the Rubicon, but it was a stock shaft with a lot of abuse on it. Chromoly's on that axle would easily make it as sound as a 44 30 spline with Chromolys. I also never really experienced any flex... the tubes were as thick and heavy as the Ford 8.8 I have now. People get this axle mixed up with the CJ version and they are definitely NOT the same.

Superior does not make shafts for this particular axle. They do make one piece axles for the much narrower CJ model 20.

Yeah... liked it fine. It handled 35x14.50x17 IROKs on a built YJ just fine. I too got it cheap, but it is fairly expensive to build. I did bust a shaft on the Rubicon, but it was a stock shaft with a lot of abuse on it. Chromoly's on that axle would easily make it as sound as a 44 30 spline with Chromolys. I also never really experienced any flex... the tubes were as thick and heavy as the Ford 8.8 I have now. People get this axle mixed up with the CJ version and they are definitely NOT the same.
Hmmm, Ok, The If remember right the CJ one has tiny tubes?

I think they were about $350... but that was 4 years ago. The Jeep is long gone now. I do remember that the best deal was from Foothill in Auburn, CA. They are a big Dutchman dealer, or at least they were then.

oh good stuff. Hey didnt realize where your from, i lived in fremont my whole life up until feb of this year.

Y'know your tan is going to be replaced by those ugly water wrinkles

lol, i wake up and look at the ocean here. better air, better weather, better prices on everything, wayyyyyyyyy better scenery and.....better woman! lol alot less to do, better that way though, less distractions from my project haha

lol, i wake up and look at the ocean here. better air, better weather, better prices on everything, wayyyyyyyyy better scenery and.....better woman! lol alot less to do, better that way though, less distractions from my project haha

Sounds like more distractions! Especially the better woman part! Can't agree on the better weather part, though...
My sister lives in Oregon City though and has a condo on the coast... it is pretty there.

Last edited:
Back