• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help d44/abs issue

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
I just got done installing my d44, and when i took the rig for a test drive it seems that the brakes still have alot of pressure, if im cruising at 35 mph and slam my brakes it WONT lock them up, it will just slowly stop, almost as if it still has abs. I cut the abs wires and removed fuses from engine bay, did i skip something?

re-blead the brakes and make sure all you brake line connections are not leaking.

Alright i will check them tomorrow, I dont think that the axle has been ran for a while. One of the bleeders was clogged , and the other had water/brown water coming out of it from the first bleed, hopefully my cylinders arent shot.We will see!!!

they are probably shut, grand crown vic disc parts from a yard and call it good

ooooh stop tempting me. My wife already wants to take a bat to my jeep for stealing all of her time away.LoL

it's for safety. the question you need to ask yourself is "Do I feel safe driving it now?" If you don't feel safeshe won't feel safe. Also it's really easy.

is their a difference in difficulty from a grand cherokee disc swap or a grand vic disk swap? cuz my buddy is parting out a grand cherokee v8, but im sure the local pick a parts have the grand vics in. I just want to take the easiest route.Thnx WaXJ!

not sure I know the bolt holes of the crown vic bracket match the XJ dana 44 perfectly you just have to enlarge the holes to 3/8" I it was like 1/64" less and literally took me 10 seconds per bracket.

Also need to mention you need enlarge the center hole in the in bracket to allow the bearing on the shaft to pass through.

Dont forget you need spacrts for the swap.
Id just replace the wheel cylinder for now and call it good for awhile.

This is what I'm afraid of, I still have ABS and my D35 and don't want to take out the ABS unless I'm sure I'll get better braking out of it.
I'm assuming there isn't a way to just make it front wheel ABS?

This is what I'm afraid of, I still have ABS and my D35 and don't want to take out the ABS unless I'm sure I'll get better braking out of it.
I'm assuming there isn't a way to just make it front wheel ABS?

The braking is actually about the same as when i had abs, my only complain is that i cant loack them up even if i put full pressure on the brake pedal. I would be afraid if i was you. probably the best/easiest thing i have done to my jeep apart from replacing dummy gauges

I was thinking of just swapping in a Ford 8.8 with disc brakes and 4.10 ratio because I'm getting ready to regear, and I don't want to regear my D35 if I'll break it. I haven't broken it yet so I don't really see a point in replacing it at this time, but still.

yeah i always felt like i was building a pointless rig with that dana 35. It doesnt matter how sweet your ride is, if you got the 35 then your kind of stuck, unless you wanna pay 500+ for gears and lockers, but then you would be beating yourself up for not building an 8.8, or a 44. Some people run 29 spline 8.25's their not so bad

I was thinking of going with an 8.25 but again I'd like to have decent amount of braking power. Right now my brakes aren't the best as-is but still, ABS has come in handy a few times, other times it has been a nuisance.

Back