• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box fluid line leak

95' heep

NAXJA Forum User
hey, i discovered why my components directly under the steering box are soaked with some fluid. its leaking from one of the hose for the steering box

which is high/low pressure? i hope it's the low presssure side that i can cut the crimped part off and cut the bad section and reclamp with tradtional worm type clamps? (will use 2 clamps and tight the piss out of it)

TIA

or even do you guys think with regular worm type clamps will be enough to hold the high presssure hose on the fitting?

It's likely leaking from the high pressure hose. And no, hose clamps will not work on the high pressure hose. You'll need to replace it.

I would clean everything up and see where it is leaking from. On the wifes ZJ the steering box is covered in dirt, from the box itself leaking. Had it replaced under warranty years ago, but the new one does the same thing. I just chalk it up under the 'marking its territory' column.

I would clean everything up and see where it is leaking from. On the wifes ZJ the steering box is covered in dirt, from the box itself leaking. Had it replaced under warranty years ago, but the new one does the same thing. I just chalk it up under the 'marking its territory' column.

actually it JUST started leaking, and the jeep has been parked for weeks. so the leak was easy to find.

so, which one is hi/lo pressure?

hasta

Look on the back on the power steering pump. The LOW pressure hose is the one that is held on with a hose clamp.

ok great, thank!

just replaced this line. yep its the high pressure side.

also i didnt realized at first, they're actually cheap. less than $20 at advance auto parts. works great again now. no more squeals

Back