• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which hub bearing do i use for my 99xj?

RoyalXJ

NAXJA Forum User
there are 2 hub bearings listed for the 99. i need to know which one i need. in the door jam it says my jeep was manufactured 9/98. do i need for for the 2 pc stamped rotor or 1 pc cast rotor? thanks

Three different hub/bearing units were used over the years on XJ's. The hub/bearing units are the same part number for both sides of the vehicle. The model years for hub/bearing assemblies were:

1) 1984 through 1989 (early style rotors)

2) 1990 through mid-1999 (composite rotors)

3) late-1999 through 2001 (cast rotors).

** You need to match brake rotors to the unit bearing/hubs on your XJ. **

Lay the rotor on your bench and measure from the bench to the top of the rotor.

Composite rotors will have an overall height of 3 3/16". Composite rotors will have a thin sheet metal like appearance at the lug nut holes where the studs come through and measure about 1/8 "(.125) thick in this area. Composite rotors have a rounded off corner at the wheel mounting surface and look like two pieces joined together.

Cast rotors will have an overall height of 3 1/16". Cast rotors are thicker at the lug nut holes and measure between 1/4" (.250) to 5/16 (.320) in this area. Cast rotors have a square corner at the wheel mounting surface and look like they are one solid piece of metal.

Parts store replacement rotors may have a different appearance.

On late 1999 - 2001 unit bearing/hubs the ring around the 36MM shaft retaining nut is almost 3/4 inch tall and the hub has longer lug nut studs than older hubs.

On early 1990 - 1999 unit bearing/hubs the ring around 36MM shaft retaining nut is about 1/2 inch tall.

Two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right side knuckles have different part numbers.

Two types of brake caliper styles were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right sides are different part numbers.

1999.5 to 2001 unit bearing/hub on the left uses a cast rotor, 1990 to 1999.5 unit bearing/hub on the right uses a composite rotor.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

To update with more info: the unit bearing on the left (for cast rotors) has a knuckle mount-to-wheel mount distance of 1-7/8". The unit bearing on the right (for composite rotors) has a knuckle mount-to-wheel mount distance of 2-1/8".

As long as we're reviving a zombie thread here, two comments:

First, I think Tim's info above should be copied, stickied, or something for future reference.

Second, when trying to figure out what rotors you have, be aware that aftermarket rotors are often cast, whichever type they replace. So even if you don't see composite rotors, don't automatically assume you have the OEM cast. My 95, for example, has cast aftermarket rotors with composite dimensions.

Back