• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bilstein 7100 on daily driver

METAL MONKEY

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the need of new shocks up front. I already have 5150s in the rear with the 255/70 valving. So, I'll probably match or go up just a bit in the valving in the front. From searching, it looks the 275/78 valving with RE 3.5" xj springs is a good match. Also, I'll be buying the JKS upper and lower mounts for race shocks. So, my questions about the 7100s are these:

-How well will these hold up to daily driving?
-Will the extra wear & tear induce more maintenance?
-Is there a recommended rebuild interval?
-How will I know when it is time to rebuild?
-How often do you have to recharge them?
-Do you have to break down the shock to install the shaft bump stops?
-Should I just go with some 51xx?

Thanks

51xx = not rebuildable... so it saves you the confusion of rebuilding a shock.

if your nice, you shouldnt ever have to rebuild your shocks.... but you can knick the shafts via a rock collision, and have that tear up a seal...

you'd notice a leaking shock body, and eventual loss of dampening.

i dd fox 2.0's... and i would say go w/ fox instead.
theyre american! and you COULD get them w/ oem mounting, saving the trouble(math, and budget) of the adapters.

also, rebuildable shocks are so god damn sexy.... 5150's are the nicest NON rebuildable shock out there, and its nice.... but the fox 2.0's, and even more so the 2.5's are so damn nice. i love each of my fox's as if it was a child.

mid stage between stock and full race?
i understand the disadvantages of rubber bushings, but the shock if valved right still does all the work.

mid stage between stock and full race?
i understand the disadvantages of rubber bushings, but the shock if valved right still does all the work.

Yeah, true. If it's strictly a DD and not a crossover sorta thing, I guess the rubber can be helpful for noise reduction. FWIW, there's a poly bushing that can be used in place of the spherical insert ends of the 7100s. I'll see if I can grab the part number at work tomorrow.

tj's would have the same mounting, i beleive. any competant offroad shop can steer you right.
once you switch over to heim top and bottom on a stock xj, youve got 2 adapters... and lots of wasted travel..., plus a lot of extra 'JUNK'. unless mounted PROPERLY top and bottom... i think the oem rubber top foxes would be a better option.

to be fair, ive heard bilstein makes a step top peice for the 5150's

ive enjoyed my 2.0 oem mounting, but im moving on!.

i think its a daystar bushing or something? pls do post if you find it!

That's where I saw them. Thanks. Any details on the valving and extended/collapsed lenghts? I found there website a bit lacking in details. Didn't you run the 7100s too? If so, which do you like better?
I have them off the Jeep right now because I'm selling them, I'll measure the lengths for you when I get home. I never ran the bilstein's, but I loved my fox's. I'm now making the switch to bilstein but not even in the same class, I'm going with a 2.5 coilover up front and a 2.5 bypass in the rear.

i think its a daystar bushing or something? pls do post if you find it!

Prothane part# 19-920-BL

Image118.jpg

Last edited:
RIGHTEOUS, might try these out for the lowers on my fox 2.5's!

as far as the reservoir... ive ran mine on the main tube... in the back its kinda not ideal... but i wasnt gonna cut sheet metal just for the remote reservoir...

the 2.0's come w/ a kinda short hose anyway... cant really get it very far.

few thoughts here... 7100s are awesome, right on pr with the Fox and King and other 2.0s of the world.

Ad for mounting, please leave the heims in the 7100s... its part of what makes it a higher performing shock. You can not really tell a big difference on the street. Going to a poly bushing really defeats the purpose.

Last but not least, the shocks Crazyjim has are awesome, built by fox specifically for Jeeps.... i know, I ran them.

Ad for mounting, please leave the heims in the 7100s... its part of what makes it a higher performing shock. You can not really tell a big difference on the street. Going to a poly bushing really defeats the purpose.

I agree...though my 7100s in the rear have ONE end set up with this poly bushing (lower). I have no idea why, but it was done that way for a reason by the PO. I think it had something to do with availability of the lower bracket or something. My 9100s up front are left as the Almighty Himself intended.

Back