• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 4.0 in AMC Wagoneer XJ??

LilWagoneer

NAXJA Forum User
I tried seraching but not sure how it would be worded lol

I have an 1988 Wagonner XJ 4.0, I had the Engine overheat like 2 years ago in the Middle of BFE (so hot that the intake Mani gasket was melting lol) was able to replace the lower Rad hose that blew along with the water pump and T-Stat.

I was able to drive it home with one more over heat but made it home (thank God for Cast Iorn block and Head), and I havent really driven it much since but never had an issue other than some mis-fire durring start up but then leveling out after a few minutes.

Now is the Chrysler 4.0 block and head the same as the AMC 4.0 block and head? I know the intake manifolds are different.

Or how dis-similar is the engine harness, would be nice to slap in a 4.0 H/O engine :p

I also the Aisin transmission.

Pics of my Baby, Bought her from my Grandfather (who is the first owner, and I am now the second owner)
I would like to get her reliably running again so I can use her to Trailier my Drift Cars with the occassional Weekend warrior offroader again
PICT0015.jpg

Jeep5003.jpg

Jeep5005.jpg

Any Help or Thread Links would be great.
Thanks Guys

Last edited:
first off, nice jeep man! well there are some differences, but you can just swap the long block and keep your original intake and exhaust manifolds from the old motor. i did it, and got a lot of extra power, and it was way easy. the hardest part is getting to the little bolts on the top of the transmission bell housing, which will be torx e12 star shaped bolts. do it up, man! you'll be glad you did!

I was driving a 90 4.0 2X2 following my wife in a 94 4.0 HO 4X4 in stop and start driving. She ran off and left me, I couldn`t keep up. You`ll notice the difference with a HO. By the way, that is a nice Cherokee.

nice rig, dig the two front lights with the non woody trim

first off, nice jeep man! well there are some differences, but you can just swap the long block and keep your original intake and exhaust manifolds from the old motor. i did it, and got a lot of extra power, and it was way easy. the hardest part is getting to the little bolts on the top of the transmission bell housing, which will be torx e12 star shaped bolts. do it up, man! you'll be glad you did!

Excelent info Chief, thats what i wanted to hear ^_^

I can pick up a long block from a junk yard for about $100

I never wanna sell this thing but i was so close to selling it a few months ago ;o;

Thanks everyone else for the comments ^_^

Sorry to hear about your wife Tex

Few more Pics (sorry its been along time since I've shown off my Jeep lol)

PICT0015-1.jpg

Back when i was 17 (im 23 now )
PICT0013-1.jpg

PICT0011.jpg

Nice XJ

I saw one of these at the pick-n-pull yesterday and almost bought the header/grill for re-sale. It still had both of the taillights in it and it had leather and factory sun roof.

waggy.jpg

Are you wanting to stay carb'd or do you want to run the full HO setup. If you want the full HO setup go for a 94 area long block. If you can get one with full harness in and out then you can have the full HO setup.

I didn`t mean my wife left me. I had taken her to get the 94 HO. The 90 just wouldn`t keep up with the 94 HO. Not even close.

Damn that thing is mint!!! I wish it was here id pick that thing apart
xj trailier you should check that Wagoneer to see if its got a Dana 44 in the rear! For some weird reason Jeep put some Dana 44's in some of the XJ wagoneers

hahaha I see Tex

Did you remove the fake wood paneling or did it come that way? Nice rig!

Are you wanting to stay carb'd or do you want to run the full HO setup. If you want the full HO setup go for a 94 area long block. If you can get one with full harness in and out then you can have the full HO setup.

First of all, the 4.0 always had EFI. Second why would a 94 be better than a 91-93?

Damn that thing is mint!!! I wish it was here id pick that thing apart
xj trailier you should check that Wagoneer to see if its got a Dana 44 in the rear! For some weird reason Jeep put some Dana 44's in some of the XJ wagoneers

hahaha I see Tex

It was a D-35 with that crappy ABS system. That thing was loaded out otherwise.

Back