• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

using ZJ parts on an XJ

the front axle should fit. but it is a Low pinion. so its likely a downgrade.
The transfercase will likely fit. but you DO NOT want that Transfercase.
A: full time Awd with a crappy low
B: not even sure the spline count is the same.. depends on year
C: You wont find a shifter plate for it.

What are the specs of your rig? Find a local junkyard. Right now they are full of good parts that will swap right in.. whats wrong with your rig?

the front axle should fit. but it is a Low pinion. so its likely a downgrade.
The transfercase will likely fit. but you DO NOT want that Transfercase.
A: full time Awd with a crappy low
B: not even sure the spline count is the same.. depends on year
C: You wont find a shifter plate for it.

What are the specs of your rig? Find a local junkyard. Right now they are full of good parts that will swap right in.. whats wrong with your rig?
It hit a school bus, knock the front axel out. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1008795

:eek: i dont let my wife drive mine. let alone my brothers friends cousins uncles wife drive it!

Get to a local junkyard. find a 95-99 Front dana 30. and in that same rig take its transfercase.

Time for a Jeep 2500 conversion :D

What are the specs of your rig?... whats wrong with your rig?
1995 XJ Country, 4.0L H.O., 4 speed auto, R.E. 5.5" long arm extreme, 8.25 rear axel. destroyed D30 front axel, swy bar links, left shock, left steering knuckle, tie rods, front driveshaft, NP231 T-case with SYE, bumper, both fenders, grill, lights. Radiator support is bend and folded on right side. The long arm kit survived, ripped the brackets off the axel tube.

I would find a picnpul type yard and just get everything you need there. You're going to need a 23 spline transfer case, NP242 or a 231, both are good, It will need to be from a 91 or newer XJ with either tranny.

As far as Axles go any Dana 30 with the correct Ratio of gears will work. Find one from a 91-99 XJ, all of them are high pinion and will be a non disconnect type without the vacuum actuator/intermediate shaft that you see on 90 and older XJs.

As far as Front Drive shafts go, the ZJ one will work. Any of the other parts you need you will be able to find at a yard too. Good Luck fixing your XJ, I hope it goes well for you and you get it back on the road and trail soon!

My brother got his hands on the front axel, drive shaft, and transfer case out of a ZJ. the axel is a low pinion D30 with CV joints and ABS sensors. The Transfer case is a NP249J. The drive shaft has CV joint on one end and double cardigan U-joint on the other end. The parts were free. Will they work? I need it to be able to move under its own power till I find better. As it sits now there is a risk of it being towed.

What is a NP249J???

the np249 is completely AWD. 2 selections, Full time awd and 4lo
the front end being a LP might give you problems aswell considering it is possibly the wrong gear ratio for your rear axle.

and considering it is a LP30. it could also cause driveline problems with your current lift!

the np249 is completely AWD. 2 selections, Full time awd and 4lo
the front end being a LP might give you problems aswell considering it is possibly the wrong gear ratio for your rear axle.

and considering it is a LP30. it could also cause driveline problems with your current lift!
Would the NP249J still work with the front drive shaft removed? For now I just need to fake out the landlord and be able self load it on to a trailer at a later date.

The stuff will work. the NV249 will let it move under its own power, and you'll likely have to have the front axle not powered, so don't hook up a drive shaft. IIRC the 249 will still power the rear without resistance to the front. I could be wrong though.

If you just need to move it, then yeah, go ahead and bolt up the TC you have for it and the axle, but realize that those wont work for you long term. In the end, if you wnat your jeep to peform how it used to, youre gonna have to replace all the parts with the same ones it had before the accident.

Why the hate for the viscous coupling? I think it makes more sense than the 242's two 4WD modes, or the 231's one 4wd mode. With the viscous, you have AWD without locking the front and rear together, and yet all the power doesn't go to the one wheel that slips so it's useful offroad.

Why the hate for the viscous coupling? I think it makes more sense than the 242's two 4WD modes, or the 231's one 4wd mode. With the viscous, you have AWD without locking the front and rear together, and yet all the power doesn't go to the one wheel that slips so it's useful offroad.

All the power does go to the wheel that slips, a vast majority anyway. Its better than 2wd but not as good as a locking 4wd offroad. My friend had the 249 in his Grand Cherokee and swapped it for a 242. He kept his awd ability but now has a locking 4 high.

All the power does go to the wheel that slips, a vast majority anyway. Its better than 2wd but not as good as a locking 4wd offroad. My friend had the 249 in his Grand Cherokee and swapped it for a 242. He kept his awd ability but now has a locking 4 high.
word:woohoo:

Because the 231 and 242 have 2wd and NOT the 249. 249 awd with lsd in the TC the failure prone VC, 242 open dif in TC in 4FT. 231 and 242 have 4PT and 4LO with locked TC diff, not 249.

If the viscous coupling is failure prone, that sucks... But I don't see what's wrong with it functionally. I used to offroad with a WJ, and the clutch pack 247 tcase worked well. I'd think the VC would be almost as good.

If the viscous coupling is failure prone, that sucks... But I don't see what's wrong with it functionally. I used to offroad with a WJ, and the clutch pack 247 tcase worked well. I'd think the VC would be almost as good.
number one complaint is how often the VC goes bad.

we got are hands on a right hand drive 1994 XJ. We are going to use the D30 high pinion and NP231 from it. Which would be better? Using the axel as is with U-joints on the axel shafts? or Swapping in the shafts from a ZJ D30 low pinion with CV joints?

we got are hands on a right hand drive 1994 XJ. We are going to use the D30 high pinion and NP231 from it. Which would be better? Using the axel as is with U-joints on the axel shafts? or Swapping in the shafts from a ZJ D30 low pinion with CV joints?
well, the 260x U-joint shafts are barely stronger then the CV shafts.

but the 297x U-joint shafts are a huge improvement over both.

either way, stay FAR away from the CV shafts.

Back