• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear shock mounting Position

Crasher

NAXJA Forum User
On the ZJ I just modified "again", I did the high clearance brackets for the CA and shocks. It really cleaned up the underside of the axle. I want to do the same thing on my XJ. The lower shock brackets really hang down below the axle. If I move the mounting point up to the 8.8 axle tube, I end up with normal shock ride length of 17"s. I would have to run a shock that would collapse to 14" or so. That wouldn't leave for much compression or extension, but maybe thats enough for IRO 5 1/2" leaf springs. Has anyone done this? Would it work? Claytons said that one of the functions of the stock mounting position is to help control axle wrap and it might not do that if up at the axle. I don't know what the difference would be and he didn't know for sure. I haven't wheeled with the XJ yet, but it sure looks like it wouldn't be hard to tear a shock off.

That would move it up 2" and be an improvement. It looks like the shock would have a better chance of surviving a direct hit on a rock. That would get me at a 19 inch ride length. Compressing to 15" and extending to 23" is probably as much as I could expect out of leaf springs. Looks like a good compromise.

Thanks

Back