• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Yoke bolt

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So I broke a bolt off in my front axle yoke....and broke off 2 "EZ out" type tools in the broken bolt trying to get it out....any ideas??
DSC04155.jpg

I have to do the same thing for the rear axle yoke. I think I may just replace the yoke though, if I don't then I'm going to drill and oversize the bolt

http://rustysoffroad.com carries heavy duty yokes with ubolt type straps that are really beefy and not too expensive.
what i have done in the past (in this exact situation on my xj) was hammered a flathead screwdriver into the broken bolt and slowly try to turn it however i can, which usually amounts to trying to tap it counter clockwise and turn it out. take the other side and the whole driveshaft off the yoke first.

Did the same thing to my rear on the trail last year. I replaced the yoke and got allen head bolts to replace the stock ones with. With the allen head it is harder to get off center tightening and loosening and less likely to break.

If you did not lock tight them or even if you did. Try to heat the yoke and loosen it up. I have been able to remove them with screwdrivers and or reverse drill bit. I think it was like 1/8th or smaller. One time the bolt broke with a thread just above the yoke so some gentle taps and it came out.

Just spoke with him, he's replacing the yoke in the morning, just got all the part this evening

did this when i grenaded my front...

i ended up pulling the yoke... and you can access the the other side of the hole. i put the yoke in a vice and used a regular drill bit and drilled it from the opposite side. walked the broken bolt right out!

was a simple fix!

Back