• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 ton swap questions

sean883

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to pick up a 79 HP d60 on saturday. I have two options on the rear axle. Option one is the matching 4.10 geared d60, option two is a cucv 14 bolt with detroit and 4.56's.

If i thought i could get away with running the stock rear 30 splines on the planned 36"-38" tires i would. But should i just go for it and get the 14 bolt for $500?

As for the front i plan on using ballistic fab mounts...these...http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Link-bracket-coil-spring-shock-mount-combo_p_1461.html Is it necessary to cut off the drivers pad to have room for the coil and link? I have seen some say you have to others say you don't?

I like my 14 bolt, might be a little much for 36-38" tires though. It can be shaved of course, one of these days I might do that.

Also aftermarket gears for 14 bolts are thick, meaning you need a 4.10 and numerically lower carrier for them. You can get "thin" gears 4.56 and up but they cost more, enough to justify getting a scrap yard carrier. I think mine was $25.

I'm thinking i should go 14 bolt, no need to upgrade shafts and with a shave you get decent clearance. I really don't want to deal with boring the 60 to get 35 spline shafts.

As for the cucv axle i thought since it already had the detroit it wasn't a bad deal. Maybe i should just buy a junkyard 4.10 geared one and build it?

What's wrong with overkill? I like the idea of never having to worry about breaking, I would buy the cucv axle and regear the front 60. All the cucv's i've seen are super low mile and if you are really worried about the size of the 14 bolt get your grinder out......

As for the cucv axle i thought since it already had the detroit it wasn't a bad deal. Maybe i should just buy a junkyard 4.10 geared one and build it?

A detroit for the 14 bolt is like $400 on ebay and I believe the Vendors on PBB could probably beat that. I wouldn't pay more then $100-150 for a 14 bolt out of a wrecking yard so you are paying full price for it. It is a good deal if someone really wants 4.56's but if you are planning on re-gearing anyways that isn't a selling point.

The detroit for the 14 bolt is not a full case replacement, it is more like a lock right so if you get a different carrier you just put it in that.

What's wrong with overkill? I like the idea of never having to worry about breaking, QUOTE]

Whats wrong with over kill? Its when you get hung up on every rock or obstacle you try and drive over cause you have 36" tires instead lets say 40" or bigger tires that's when its over kill and its obvious that you have never seen a 14 Bolt up close in person cause there big and bulky not only the center section but the drums as well. All I am saying is for 36" tires a 14 bolt IS overkill. Just my opinion though.

Also with a rear D60 or 70 and 36" tires you really wont have to worry about breaking stuff either.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like i'm going to find a cheap 14 bolt and build it up and shave it.

Got a 14 bolt today. It has disc brakes, pinion and diff guard, shaved bottom, detroit locker and 4.10 gears. Paid $500, not bad i thought.

Back