• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaking roof

woodironman

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 92 limited and the roof seems to be leaking on the drivers side i've sealed all the screws mounting the roof rack but it is still leaking the headliner is wet close to the windshield has anyone had this problem before and what was the fix. thanks mark

I had the same exact problem, I even went as far as taking the trim off the windsheild and siliconed the heck out of it and that didnt work. I took it to a windshield shop, they replaced the windsheild with a new surround and no more leaks, except they charged me more for cleaning up the silicone... The rubber that surrounds the windshield shrinks over time and water can get in anywhere. goodluck

A lot of times, what happens is that the original polyurethane bead that adheres the windshield to the body separates and rust gets underneath it. Unfortunately, there's really no good way to fix it, and sometimes not even a good way to find it, unless you take the windshield out, sand and prime the rusty flange, and replace the windshield. If you can find where the leak is, there's a slight hope you can get enough of some kind of sealer in there, but don't use silicone: it doesn't stick well to rusty metal, and may make the rust worse. There are automotive sealers made for the job.

Check also for rust spots growing at the forward edge of the rain gutter, and right above it. It's a common spot. If there is a spot developing, catch it now, or you'll end up with nasty holes that are almost impossible to repair, and your roof will leak forever.

Matthew Currie said:
Check also for rust spots growing at the forward edge of the rain gutter, and right above it. It's a common spot. If there is a spot developing, catch it now, or you'll end up with nasty holes that are almost impossible to repair, and your roof will leak forever.

Good advice on catching it now....i had a spot above rear doors where paint was bubbling. I didnt think it was as bad as it was....i went to clean it up to prep for paint and found a few good holes before it cleaned up. I used JB Weld as filler and sanded smooth as best i could.

Back