• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tube door latch question

i have the bear claws on my 1949 chevy pick up with the door poppers, and they are great...very tight lock.

i got them direct but had a business account. i originally found them on by typing in eberhard latch in a google product search. It was some kind of company that built vehicles for handicap access. They sold for something around 15$ i dont have photos but you can see an ok photo of the same latch , its used on olympic 4x4 safari doors.

I recently made some tube doors using the chevy s-10 blazer tire holder. I'm currently using a home depot gate latch, but it really sucks. So I was wondering if I could use the following, Bear Claw Latch??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Smal...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Thanks!!
I've been fabbin' tube doors for 8 years now and hav'nt found anything aftermarket that latches w/o rattling. Go to the wrecking yard and pull one from a rear XJ door, a rear door latch will have much less wear than a front door latch.

My tube doors don't rattle, i used the rubber nipples of the rear hatch...I found it on here doing a search..I'll try to find the pic of my doors to show you..

Found some..
Installedbumps.jpg

These stopped the tube doors from moving and rattleing
insideview.jpg

HTH

Last edited:
x2! Those little hatch nipples are one of the best parts about my tube doors. The latches do not rattle anymore, but I was getting sick of that metallic slam when people flung the doors shut. And for the gate latch door latches, I looked around (ok so I opened all the packages) and figured out which ones were not slotted and fit the pin the best. My doors are quiet now!

Toobdoorbumperpeice.jpg

Toobdoorbumper4.jpg

Toobdoorbumper5.jpg

but not too quiet!

Doorwork9-17h.jpg

Thanks guys!!!! I never really thought about the stoppers. I'll just use mine since my hatch does not come in contact with them anyways. I'll post my results.

Cheers!

Well after the install of the hatch bumpstops, the rattling finally stopped. Thanks for the tip guys! I did a similar set up with the rears. I wanted to show off my custom swivel cupholder, enjoy!

8ab1c9e1.jpg

11373219.jpg

6968a5c2.jpg

0e1d857d.jpg

96748195.jpg

Why didn't you use the factory one from the tire carrier? I just made a set and used the factory latch and the factory handle. I just got a longer rod to connect the handle to the latch and they work great. They do rattle a little, but I thinhk I will do the rubber snubber thing to stop that.

tubedoors1.jpg

Back