• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 3.54?

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up my dana 44, and the tag says 3.54, but i believe that my dana 30 is 3.55 Will this be a problem? please help me out im kinda noob!

Get a slightly smaller set of front tires. Lol, you should be fine, that accounts for less than half of a percent of the total distance the tires travel. Also I am assuming that you have an np231 meaning you should probably not drive on pavement with 4wd on in the first place.

Bottom line, you will be fine.

Ive just been putting salt in your coffee. First the rubi wheels, then the dana off of craigslist.You know your the man though.LoL
hahaha amen!
quick question. what was your purchase price on that dana 44? he was asking $400 right?

ended up getting it for 365 with all brake cables drum to drum, and Driveshaft, but i think that im gona keep my original D/S, because it seems a bit extended as is with my 6ish lift, and i think the d44 d/s is a bit shorter

ended up getting it for 365 with all brake cables drum to drum, and Driveshaft, but i think that im gona keep my original D/S, because it seems a bit extended as is with my 6ish lift, and i think the d44 d/s is a bit shorter
right on. i was eye'in it for about a week. i just couldnt pull the trigger on that $400 price tag.

Yeah it was very steep, but i just got tired of building a rig around that shitty 35, if i were more patient i would have waited for one that has already been geared etc, but im very spazzy when it comes to the heep.LoL

did you get it installed yet?

edit: mines done (besides E-brake cables) haha Your turn!
DSC03323.jpg

Last edited:
did you get it installed yet?

edit: mines done (besides E-brake cables) haha Your turn!
DSC03323.jpg

Very nice! I just finished prep and paint, and will try to pop it in tomorrow.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Are you using your stock driveshaft instead of the d44 d/s? or what are you gona run, because right now i dont have a sye, but my rig is at about 5-6 inches of lift. I hear that the 44 D/S is shorter, so i may keep my stock one on for now

Last edited:
Very nice! I just finished prep and paint, and will try to pop it in tomorrow.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Are you using your stock driveshaft instead of the d44 d/s? or what are you gona run, because right now i dont have a sye, but my rig is at about 5-6 inches of lift. I hear that the 44 D/S is shorter, so i may keep my stock one on for now
Im at about 5" lift. and i plan to use the D35 shaft with new Spicer joints. No SYE here either. i plan to do a IRO sye for the 242 and use a front shaft in the rear sometime soon. but with no vibes, it has not been a priority yet.

I used a DS from an XJ w/ a different axle (not sure which) in place of my stock (d44) one for a while. It was slightly longer and the yoke looked more like it did before lift. It worked fine until I drove with a wasted Ujoint long enough for the vibration to break the yoke and make the DS hit the pavement, now I have the original one back on there :)

just got the 44 bolted up. i think my passenger side ebrake cable is way too short though, besides that it all went pretty smooth. will post pics later

If this is on your '98, your passenger side cable will be way too short (and your driver side will be too long). Back in '87 when your D44 was made, XJ's routed the e-brake cables down the center of the vehicle instead of along the driver side rail. You can re-use the cables from your D35 to make it work though. The cable ends are a little different, but with a little convincing they'll fit the D44 drums just right.

Back