• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44/Lift/SYE Q's

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. I'm currently riding on a 3.5" RE Super Ride kit, 1" T-case drop, and 31's on my 97' XJ.

I picked up a D44 out of an old XJ, some 1.5" spacers and shackles, an AA SYE, New Trackbar, and some new shocks.

I am hoping to do as much of this in one pass as I can. My goal was to get the D44, SYE, and Trackbar all done in one night. That way I can measure for the new DS and order it from Tom woods. Then when it comes, I'll go ahead and swap in the new DS when it comes.

Now, am I forgetting anything? Brake lines: will the ones that came with the 3.5" lift be long enough? I know I need to replace the front ones, since those are still the stock ones (the kit has you straighten out the Z in the hardlines). However, Im not sure about the rear? What exactly am I look for for new brakes lines if they need to be replaced?

Also a little curious about the sway bar, the links to be exact. Will those need to be replaced as well with the new lift?

Control Arms?

you can get a front drive shaft and install it in the rear to get you buy for a while, only if you have a 4.0 ltre and the aw4 auto tranny.

when i put in my rear d44 i had to get a little adapter to put in the "T"
for the rear break lines i just moved mine. but you could get a durango rear line.

fronts i use 95 2wd chevy 1500 lines.

its hard to say about the links, on my 97 with 3" lift they hit. on my 98 with 5 they didnt hit. id replace them to get disco's

you will need arms with that much lift. or you could get drop brackets to keep the arm angles low. buy some hard wheeling will still warp and bend the stock ones.

you can get a front drive shaft and install it in the rear to get you buy for a while, only if you have a 4.0 ltre and the aw4 auto tranny.

when i put in my rear d44 i had to get a little adapter to put in the "T"
for the rear break lines i just moved mine. but you could get a durango rear line.

fronts i use 95 2wd chevy 1500 lines.

its hard to say about the links, on my 97 with 3" lift they hit. on my 98 with 5 they didnt hit. id replace them to get disco's

you will need arms with that much lift. or you could get drop brackets to keep the arm angles low. buy some hard wheeling will still warp and bend the stock ones.

I can't use a front shaft, already thought about that one. I've got a 5-spd and its just too short. And my lower control arms were already swapped out when I did the 3.5" lift, maybe I should look for new uppers?

I'm pretty sure you can use the front DS from a V8 ZJ instead of a rear driveshaft - never tried it, but I've run into multiple people who say it's possible. Remember that you'll need a new TC yoke to connect to the CV shaft though, part number 3103-27CV.

Unless you've replaced it already you should probably go ahead and buy the t-case chain and shift fork pad replacement kit while you've got it apart.
I didn't and now I'm sitting here with my case in half waiting on parts.

What exactly does the new Chain and shift fork pad replacement kit do for me?

What exactly does the new Chain and shift fork pad replacement kit do for me?

WEll if youa re doing a full SYE kit, then it freshens up your whole transfer case to like new condition. From reading here I am not sure what SYE you are doing, But I am going to be installing the 3103-27CV, and the a front XJ shaft, and I too have the 44 in the rear. I have heard that the stock ZJ V8 front drive shaft is 1 inch longer, and may work out for you til you get your custom shaft installed. I am going to be doing the same thing to my Jeep next spring, and You really do need to adress the control arms, some else said it, but I am going to repeat it. You need either drop brackets, or long arms to have a good safe driving Jeep, when you have that much lift. You can run the arms that way, but I warn you watchout for death wobble... I am trying to save the extra coin to get the long arms, and just do it right...

Thanks for the heads up and clarification on the arms. I'll start shopping around and saving for some long arms

Back