• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some help

masswrecker

NAXJA Forum User
I am having an issue with my front end in my 90 xj. I just did a right front axle shaft u joint about a month and a half ago in my hp dana 30 with disconnect. I had a minor vibration after I installed it, but as of lately I get a shake from the right front wheel at highway speeds to the point I got off the highway last night and took back roads to my club meeting. Any suggestions on what the issue could be? Any help would be great. The vibration is only in the right front wheel.

I am having an issue with my front end in my 90 xj. I just did a right front axle shaft u joint about a month and a half ago in my hp dana 30 with disconnect. I had a minor vibration after I installed it, but as of lately I get a shake from the right front wheel at highway speeds to the point I got off the highway last night and took back roads to my club meeting. Any suggestions on what the issue could be? Any help would be great. The vibration is only in the right front wheel.

Double check your lugnuts.

I didn't loose any needle bearings and the caps are on with the clips they didnt move at all. I checked the lugnuts twice in the last 500 miles after the u joint but will check them again.

Here are some questions that may help:
- How do you know it is only from the right front? Bad shakes can be hard to narrow down. Also, is it visibly shaking if the passenger looks at it?
-if you lift that tire off the ground, can you push/pull it in any direction to find any play?
-With the tire off the ground, stop the inner axle from turning (like a friend with a screwdriver through the axle "C" and bump the lifted tire back and forth. See if you can see any independent movement between the inner and outer axles. Also, try to get in there with something to push just the ujoint around and see if you can manage to see any play.
- Move the entire axle assembly side to side (toward the diff then toward the hub) and see how much horizontal play it has. A little is normal, a lot, not so much.

If none of this gets you anywhere, it is hard for me to imagine the shaking is related to the U joint change...

Good luck

Did the two axle shafts reconnect in the vacuum disconnet housing?
Did the coupling fall off when the rt frnt axle shaft was pulled?
131_0712_11_z+1997_ford_ranger+high_pinion_dana_30.jpg

i checked it out no play in the wheel when up off the ground, no play in the u joint either, and the axle shaft is not moving around. the coupling is still connected I made sure of that when I put it back together. I did find the lug nuts 1/3rd of a turn loose, that helped a little bit with the vibration but it is still there and nothing is visibly loose and I have not found any play in the front right side.

i checked it out no play in the wheel when up off the ground, no play in the u joint either, and the axle shaft is not moving around. the coupling is still connected I made sure of that when I put it back together. I did find the lug nuts 1/3rd of a turn loose, that helped a little bit with the vibration but it is still there and nothing is visibly loose and I have not found any play in the front right side.

Make sure the loose lug nuts are not wallowing out the holes in the wheels.

Happened to me randomly on my way back from wheelin. Had to retighten the lug nuts every couple hundred feet. This stripped out the studs and the lug nuts as well.

no balance lately and I will pull the wheel to see if the rims wallowed out I am going to pull the passenger side apart this weekend and see if I can find the issue. when I pulled the shaft I made sure it was back in the disconnect unit by spining the axle shaft and watching the front drive shaft spin due to being connected.

sounds to me like you have a tire out of balance. Do you currently have mud in your rims? I spents hundreds on my front end trying to fix my death wobble only to find out in the end it was bad tires/bad balance. If you have 2 other tires try putting them in front to see if it changes it. If you don't have any I have 2 you could use to try it. Also are you lifted or stock?

I am lifted 3 inches on 31x10.5 truxxus mts, my castor and toe are both good and no worn front end components and no noise from the front end just vibration I will try to get the tires balanced this weekend.

Back