• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Basic, ARB D35 questions...

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
In a way I hate to post such basic stuff but I'm still undecided after searching, so help me out a little here...

I don't live in an area with a ready supply of junkyard parts. I've been looking for a D44 for a while but haven't come across anything in my area...so...I need to put rear discs onto the D35. I'm not rebuilding the drums again, they need shoes, drums, and a full overhaul maybe with cylinders too...its not worth it to keep maintaining them the way I drive. I ordered the SSBC kit yesterday.

To put the brakes in I'm going to have to pull the shafts obviously, so, I figure at the very least I should go to the 30 spline shafts, the next question is whether to lock it. I just put in my 5 gallon tank and my OBA setup is glorious, so the ARB would be an easy integration.

Now, here is the topic of the thread, can I do this in my driveway? Meaning, of course, how does an ARB involve the settings of the ring and pinion gears? And, out of curiosity, how is the airline introduced into the differential? I would assume that is some sort of a problematic task.

I don't do much heavy wheeling, I do alot of sand and some mud but not rocks. I like the disc brakes for water, which I seem to see alot of, and for the maintinance characteristics. I am more of a Scenic and recreational Jeeper than anything hardcore so I think I should be OK witha Super 35 build on 33's at 4.5"...a bigger axle would be better, but I don't think it is possible right now.

Thanks for your input.

building up a 35? why not at least put in a 8.25 29 spline and put the disc swap on that?

as far as the arb goes, you will have to re-setup the gears completely.... if you know what you are doing then its no big deal.

dont put a dime in the D35.... Get an 8.25... with 29 spline shafts....

Then do your brakes, and locker...It will be much better axle and will be easily stout enough for your 33 inch tires.... Throw a Ruff Stuff cover on it and it will be nearly as strong as the D44.

Based on the kind of wheeling you do and the fact that you already spent the money on the brake upgrade, I would suggest going with the ARB and a super strong diff cover to strengthen the housing. With a disciplined application of the gas pedal you should be O.K.

did you guys bother to read the part where he said he already ordered the brake kit for the 35? he's asking for advice about what to do next, not whether or not to build it up. geez.

i know multiple people running the super35 kits, all but one of them are on 35" tires with no problems. same as anything else if you go crazy with the skinny pedal you're going to break stuff, but hell you'll do that with a bigger axle anyway. if you've never set up gears before i would at least get someone there who has done it before to coach you along. it can be done at home but i wouldn't just jump into it not knowing what you are doing.

good luck. :cheers:

Doesn't the ARB come with a new diff cover? Or is that ordered separately? I know you can order it separately. Either way, I'd go with the ARB cover if you're getting the locker. A friend of mine wheels his XJ on 32s with an ARB in his D35 and his problems all come from the 30 up front. He snapped a shaft on the 30 on John Bull and that's also usually the axle he gets air leaks from (ARB up front as well). He drives carefully, easy on the gas, etc. I think you ought to be fine running it as long as you keep in mind what you've got and what it's limitations are.
I think usually the airline is drilled into the diff. I could be wrong, never actually taken a close look at one.

As far as messing with the gears during installation of the ARB...

You will most likely have to play with the backlash.

You could get lucky and not have to mess with pinion depth.

I'd give it to someone who has some experience.

did you guys bother to read the part where he said he already ordered the brake kit for the 35? he's asking for advice about what to do next, not whether or not to build it up. geez.

yes i did read that... cant that be modified to fit the 8.25? i guess i should have included that.

i suppose if someone really wants to invest in the 35 its their choice.

So...in other words...this would be a good time to re-gear and pay out the butt for someone to do it...

So...in other words...this would be a good time to re-gear and pay out the butt for someone to do it...

you could look at it that way, since someone will be tearing into that anyways. it would be a pretty significant price hike, but if you have the funds i suggest doing it.

Back