• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating fixed

buckethead

NAXJA Forum User
I have been chasing an overheating problem in my 1998 XJ for about a year. In the summer with the A/C on, it would overheat at slow speeds. The jeep had 100k on it, so I figured I would replace everything in the cooling system. I replaced the radiator (3 core), thermostat, pump, fan clutch, t-stat housing (ported), temp sensor, and all the hoses. All the new parts didn't fix anything. I tested the aux fan at least 5 times and it checked good every time. After a year with all the new parts, summer came and my overheating problem was back. One day I let the jeep idle in 110 deg outside temp, until the jeep was at 230 degrees. I popped the hood to check the temp with an IR thermometer and found the aux fan was not working. As it turns out, the aux fan was getting hot and failing, then checking good when cold. I replaced the aux fan and there is no more overheating.
I thought I would share this with everyone, because it was a real pain in my ass. Maybe my pain can help the next guy.

Back