• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adding cruise control

bigdumbfun

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched through several posts and still am just as confused as when I started. I want to add cruise control to a '95 cherokee. Can I use JY parts or can I get an aftermarket kit? Any suggestions? Any links?

I have searched through several posts and still am just as confused as when I started. I want to add cruise control to a '95 cherokee. Can I use JY parts or can I get an aftermarket kit? Any suggestions? Any links?

You can buy an aftermarket kit, or use JY parts. Your choice.

http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2...=JAU&Product_Code=LV10&Category_Code=CHEROKEE

I'm about to put one into my '99 that I pulled out of a 2000 XJ. For mine I grabbed the clockspring, steering wheel buttons and the vacuum piece that goes under the hood. I have no idea which pieces you need for a 1995, but you could email jeepsareus.com and ask for the install instructions for a 1995 to see which parts you need.

Will you also need the switch on the brake pedal or does the ECU/TCU use the same one it uses for controlling TC lockup? Not sure, just throwing it out there to see if anyone knows

Will you also need the switch on the brake pedal or does the ECU/TCU use the same one it uses for controlling TC lockup? Not sure, just throwing it out there to see if anyone knows

The OP did not say if he has auto or manual, not sure if that affects the switch.

For my 99 auto that is not required, I have no idea about a 95 though.

I did this project on my 94 with no airbag. I believe that yous is exactly the same. Here are the steps I followed to install mine. I required only two parts, which I purchased from the junkyard for almost nothing. My Jeep did not come with CC installed, but all of the wiring and other connections were already in place.

Part 1: A new turn signal stalk
Part 2: The vacuum motor

The turn signal stalk is available on lots of Chrysler vehicles. first look in any older jeep to see what they look like, then pick out the nicest one you can find from anywhere in the junkyard. It's very easy to remove & install. It has a wire hanging out of it which is threaded down through the steering column and goes to a connector under the dash. Find the connector and unplug it. Carefully pull on the stalk away from the column, it will pop right out. Then carefully pull the wire out through the column. (you may have to dig into the column a bit for this, bring a steering wheel puller just in case)

The vacuum motor you want was available for a few different year jeeps. The one you are looking for is located on the fender, right by the battery (if it's located elsewhere, as seen on other years, it won't work for you) The motor is held down with three screws into the fender, a vacuum line, and an electrical connection. They're all very easy to visualize and disassemble. Be careful disconnecting the throttle cable from the valve cover, the plastic may be brittle and can break easily. Make sure you keep the short section of vacuum line, and the mounting bracket.

Installation:

Yank out your turn signal stalk from the side of the column, and jam the new one in place. remove the little plastic piece from the dash bezel right below the steering column. stick the wire through the hole, and snap the bezel back in place. crawl under the dash, find the connector that the wire mates with and plug it in.
(if you want to make it look professional, thread the wire back down through the steering column; but that's a pretty big job)

To install the vacuum motor, first screw the motor to the fender. I re-used the old screws, and had to drill holes in the fender for them. There were actually divots on the fender to show me where to drill.
There is a vacuum line running right by the battery with a capped "T" connection ready to use. there's also an electrical connection hanging out of a nearby harness, ready to go. Snap the throttle cable in place.

That's it. Piece of cake.

I am installing cruise on my 96. (Manual transmission)

Very very easy swap junkyard swap until you have to pull the steering wheel to get to the clockspring.

Total cost $30 so far. A brand new clock spring (online) is $120. I was able to pull everything from a 96. (bring steering wheel puller)

Very sure you need to pull everything from a 95. You will need a new"ish" clock spring. Find a good junkyard and search. Beware dont pull clockspring from a jeep with a blown airbag.

C4Cs will be crushed within 6 months of exchange. Better do it soon.

Back