• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

linkage from 242 doesnt work on 231???

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
i swapped in a 231 for my 242 on my 96 cherokee, but now the lever isnt set right, it grinds in 2wd and wont go into 4wd. i guess the t-case linkage needs adjustment, does anyone know what i have to do?

1/8" thick shim between the shift lever and the stop when you pull it all the way into 4Lo. make sure the case is fully in 4Lo and lock the linkage down.

did you swap the interior plate that determines the shift pattern? they are different on both i believe. youre trying to shift with the 242 shift pattern and not the 231. sorry for the poor explanation

You put in a 231, did you put in the linkage and shift gates too?

The linkage is the same, but the shift gate is different, and the linkage needs to be readjusted for the 242. There needs to be room/slack for the handle to flex a bit at full front and rear positions or else you won't be able to fully shift.

ok guys,

great to know

i will grab a new shift gate at the junkyard this weekend

thanks!!

Back