• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horrendous TC Noise

menos

NAXJA Forum User
91 Cherokee 4wd
AW4/231TC

I've spent the better part of two weeks trying to track down a weird noise somewhere in the drive train. It almost sounds like something is banging around but I can't find anything loose for the life of me.

I got it up on the lift today and starting checking everything I could think of. I put it in 4wd to lock all of the drivetrain components and started looking to see if there was any bad slack in the drivetrain. I noticed that if I turned the front or rear ds manually there was about an 1/8 of a turn in play before the other ds started turning. There was also quite a bit of play in both diffs but I'm assuming that's because of the open diff. I started it up and put it in drive to see if I could get any noise while it was turning. I didn't notice anything odd until I started turning the steering wheel. I started to get a little bit of a shudder, shorta like something was catching, as the shudder from the front started getting worse I started to get a horrendous noise from the TC. It sounds like gears slipping then catching but its very uneven, though it does get worse as the rpms go up.

Now I'm not a mechanic (though I've played one for a few years but this is my first 4x4) but that doesn't sound good. How likely is it that the tc is totally trashed or may it be rebuildable or could it be something else?

Oh wizards of the XJ help me and edjumacate me.......

Back