• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headliner fix question

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever tried pulling their saggy headliner, cleaning all the gunk off the fabric and the cardboard/fiber glass or whatever it is, and regluing the original fabric back on directly to the board? i'm thinking about trying and figured i'd see if anyone else has tried before i go for it.

i know lots of people replace it with a new headliner...my question was about using the original headliner and just regluing it after cleaning...

would it be a problem that it wouldn't have the foam backing anymore?

I tryed to fix mine.
Didn't work out.
Riped every thing out and put up lots and lots of stickers!!!
And new dome lights cuz I broke mine. IV got red dome lights now.

I replaced mine in my '99 a few weeks ago. Looks much better.

Go to the fabric store and get some thin Flannel type cloth that stretches in both directions. Any type of cloth that only gives in one direction will cause folds or gathering in the curves of the Head Liner. And think cotton type cloth will show glue "leak through) I found some dark gray cloth at Walmart for less then $10.

Get a can of 3M spray contact adhesive.

Take the HL out, put it cloth side up on the ground and carefully strip off the cloth. Take a broom and "Sweep off all the old brownish looking crap. Do this carefully because you don't want to "Score" or rip the thin layer between the brown crap and the foam stuff. That thin layer is the glue that held on the old cloth. the old cloth has a thin layer of foam when they mount it to the Head Liner.

Get your cloth lined up on the upside down head liner to make sure it will look ok. A dry run :) then turn the cloth back a little on one end ( front or back ) and start putting the glue on the liner and cloth. follow the directions on the can as far as time and area to cover. When the cloth is all glued down and dry take your scissors and clean up the excess ** Make sure you leave enough to wrap the cloth on the front over and glue to the other side ( there is no plastic to hold and cover this edge )

I had some spots on mine where the dog divider pushed a dent in the headliner and it still shows that dent now but over all it turned out very nice.

Indoor/outdoor carpet.

Back