• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best years for the xj?

xjnumber2

NAXJA Forum User
I had a 98 xj and sold it last year. I bought a 06 grand cherokee. Loved the interior hated the transmission and 3.7. just sold it. looking for another xj, and wondering if there were any years to stay away from. My 98 was bulletproof, nothing ever went wrong other than rear main seal, even though i beat the crap out of it. I am looking 97-01. thanks for your help. I used to be zjdxj but couldnt get back on that one.

I had a 98 xj and sold it last year. I bought a 06 grand cherokee. Loved the interior hated the transmission and 3.7. just sold it. looking for another xj, and wondering if there were any years to stay away from. My 98 was bulletproof, nothing ever went wrong other than rear main seal, even though i beat the crap out of it. I am looking 97-01. thanks for your help. I used to be zjdxj but couldnt get back on that one.

IMO, a 1999. It has the newer body, better intake manifold, older style ignition, HP D30 and the stronger front axle u-joints.

2000 and 2001 XJs have a LP D30, the distributor-less ignition and some have the California emission exhaust manifold with dual mini-cats and four oxygen sensors.

LazyXJ is right for all the reasons he mentioned.

The 00 and 01's with the 0331 head casting were prone to cracking. I think the general thought is the best years were either 98 or 99 with 99 having the slightly larger exhaust or intake ports with the 29 spline ChryCo 8.25 and the more stout head. I've also heard the AW4 automatics last a good long while as long as you keep them cool. My 98 has 142k on it and other than a little piston slap the engine runs great with no smoking or leaking and the transmission shifts well. I did have to sink about $1000 into the rear differential at about 130k as they tend to have bearing failures in the carrier and/or pinion. For what its worth though the axles, ring and pinion gears were salvagable. I've also heard 97 is a good year but it was the 1st year of the re-design and had some subtle software changes.

Why is the older ignition bad? Getting rid of the distributor seems to me like a good choice for reliability.

It kinda sucks when you want to change plugs.

First, the best jeep is the one you own.
Second, the best jeep is the one that's paid off
Third, the best XJ jeep is the 99 one...for the above two reasons.

best year for cherokee..... 84-01

I agree on the 99. I like the interior styling better than the earlier models and they have better/more comfortable front seating.

I think some of the 2000's still had the older ignition systems. The GF's 2000 Im pretty sure is the older style ignition.

It kinda sucks when you want to change plugs.
Not really. I've got a 2001, took me 2 minutes to pull 4 bolts and pull the coil rail. I can change plugs in 30 minutes, taking my time between gapping and applying dielectric grease to the ends. Also, no cap, rotor or wires to change. Replacing one coil rail within a 300,000 mile cherokee life probably costs less than the different occasions of changing the distributor setup.

I like what Eric said (ericsxj) Something along the lines of - Find a new cherokee with the lowest miles, and least amount of rust, and adress issues along the way.

I'd take another 2001 in a heartbeat. The trim, interior and overall look is the most refined and well finished, IMO.

ANY year MJ is better that none.

I'll drink to that

Not really. I've got a 2001, took me 2 minutes to pull 4 bolts and pull the coil rail. I can change plugs in 30 minutes, taking my time between gapping and applying dielectric grease to the ends. Also, no cap, rotor or wires to change. Replacing one coil rail within a 300,000 mile cherokee life probably costs less than the different occasions of changing the distributor setup.

If you get one that lasts that long it is great. When I worked parts, I saw a few of those come in, some of them repeatedly. All I ever heard from both shops and individuals was what a pain in the butt they were.

Last edited:
IMO, a 1999. It has the newer body, better intake manifold, older style ignition, HP D30 and the stronger front axle u-joints.

2000 and 2001 XJs have a LP D30, the distributor-less ignition and some have the California emission exhaust manifold with dual mini-cats and four oxygen sensors.

x2 on the 99 for the latest best year. Also, add the lovely crack prone 0331 head to the 00-01s.

All I ever heard from both shops and individuals was what a pain in the butt they were.

nah, I've played with both types-- the only people who have a problem pulling the rail are Luddites that still think a tune up should include points and a condenser. It's no tougher/ more worrisome than pulling a cap and rotor and will outlast them 10-to-1.

Back