• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So, why does my steering wheel ooze black goo?

Cheap leather?
Mine has the stock leather one and it would leave my hand a little dirty with the sweat. So I recently bought a cover, so far so good except the smell it leaves.

So, why does my steering wheel ooze black goo?
('92 leather wrapped).

Doesn't look too good on my khakis.

You didn't use full synthetic grease when you greased the wheel, you have voided your warranty and created a gooey mess.

The last guy who owned the XJ never washed his hands, your leather steering wheel is full of Gorilla sweat.

Now that it's been relocated. Pull it off and clean the crap out of it top and bottom and reglue

It's the glue that holds the leather to the wheel

and a little sweaty palm sauce

Mine was starting to do that, and had lost a lot of the leather surface layers in one spot, so I rented a steering wheel puller and paid ten bucks for a new one at the junkyard this morning... all better now. Took half a lunch break to do the whole install.

So why does this belong in the tech forum? Oozing black goo hardly seems tech. Paper towels are not a tool.

"Non tech / off topic" is the label on that forum. Not just "off topic". Sure seems non tech to me.

Just curious.

I have swapped wheels several times on several Jeeps. Always on the lookout for nice leather wrapped OEM ones. I prefer them to the Wheelskins. I did that on a Grand Wagoneer and the tan color wore off almost immediately. Pretty disappointed in that. Maybe the darker colors are better.

So why does this belong in the tech forum? Oozing black goo hardly seems tech. Paper towels are not a tool.

"Non tech / off topic" is the label on that forum. Not just "off topic". Sure seems non tech to me.

Just curious.

I have swapped wheels several times on several Jeeps. Always on the lookout for nice leather wrapped OEM ones. I prefer them to the Wheelskins. I did that on a Grand Wagoneer and the tan color wore off almost immediately. Pretty disappointed in that. Maybe the darker colors are better.

Main Entry: tech·ni·cal
Pronunciation: \ˈtek-ni-kəl\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Greek technikos of art, skillful, from technē art, craft, skill; akin to Greek tektōn builder, carpenter, Latin texere to weave, Sanskrit takṣati he fashions
Date: 1617
1 a : having special and usually practical knowledge especially of a mechanical or scientific subject <a technical consultant>
2 a : of or relating to a particular subject

I believe it says OEM before tech.

Paper towels are not a tool.
tool  /tul/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tool] Show IPA ,
Use tool in a Sentence
See web results for tool
See images of tool
–noun 1. an implement, esp. one held in the hand,
2. any instrument of manual operation.
5. anything used as a means of accomplishing a task or purpose

Back