• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 install now driver rear brake problems...

JRW7072009

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a 87 Cherokee Dana 44 on my XJ today and the driver side rear wheel locks up when I brake. I bled the brakes and adjusted them, e brake is working good, but when I hit the brakes kinda hard the driver rear wheel locks up. The shoes and the drums are good I am pretty sure there is no air in the lines.

The only thing I can think is the drum is bent but I cant tell by spinning it. That side of the diff dropped about 10" to the ground when I was taking it off the Jeep at the pick n pull.

Do you guys think that's what could be cause it to catch and lock up or can you think of anything else that might be causing this?? I know this is kinda an OEM ? but its kinda a mod ? too.

Its on a 94 XJ Sport 4.0 aw4 that had a D35.

Thank you,

mine does the same thing but its cause i had to replace one wheel cyl (it started leaking the day i installed the d44) so that one works more efficiently than the opposite side. probally have a wheel cyl thats leaking into the boots.

oops

Last edited:
if the shoes look good and drums look good i would only do the why cyls... if you do it all mine needs new shoes so i will take your old parts! haha

if you want to check the whl cyls take a small flat head screw driver and pop the boot off the wheel cyl and check for leaks. its quite noticeable! whl cyls are cheap and you DONT have to dis assembel the brakes to get them out and replace them! takes me no joke 5 mins to change! but most definately if you do one do both or youll be in my boat!

heres a link to the cyl at auto zone they are dirt cheap
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...Rear&fromWhere=&searchText=&_requestid=835107

I know when I put the axle in the wheel cylinders were not leaking or hadn't been, but its possible that it started. I have changed out quite a few wheel cylinders but I am thinking it may just be better to just do it all, I was just hoping to not have to do it until I got a locker and axle shafts than do it all once. We will see I guess, if you want to pay for shipping I will send you my old stuff, lol.

Last edited:
I would say your passenger side is frozen. The driver side is working fine doing it's job.
But. With the driver side off the ground. Adjust the shoes till you fell a slight drag. Now spin the wheel. If the drag is the same all the way around the drum is not bent or out of round.
Have someone press the brake pedal hard. Then release it/ The wheel should spin free right a way but for the light drag. If not! that cylinder is hanging and should be replaced.
Do the same for the passenger side. Bad wheel cylinders do not always leak.

Are you sure your leading and trailing shoes aren't swapped?

I would say your passenger side is frozen. The driver side is working fine doing it's job.
But. With the driver side off the ground. Adjust the shoes till you fell a slight drag. Now spin the wheel. If the drag is the same all the way around the drum is not bent or out of round.
Have someone press the brake pedal hard. Then release it/ The wheel should spin free right a way but for the light drag. If not! that cylinder is hanging and should be replaced.
Do the same for the passenger side. Bad wheel cylinders do not always leak.

Well I adjusted them both the same right after I installed it, but it is possible the wheel cylinders are/is bad. The parts store we goes through said they didnt have any wheel cylinders so I just got some new shoes and drums and I will se what thet does.

Are you sure your leading and trailing shoes aren't swapped?

This is possible I will check when I do the new ones tomorrow, I didnt think of this.

On the bright side of things a guy came in to work today asking if we had used rear XJ axles with 3.55 and our salesman told him about my axle, so I got it sold for $50 bucks its more than I thought I would get out of my Dana turdy5.:D

Last edited:
Back