• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket guages

Ritter4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought some sunpro temp,voltage, and oil pressure guages. My xj did not come with factory guages, but dummy lights. I have a 1990/4.0/ax-15/np231. All I need to do is disconnect the electrical sensors and replAce them with the aftermarket guages right? Or is there something more?

splice them in the wiring. thats all i had to do with a tach when i installed one a while back.

The addon temp gauge should have it's own sensor and should be wired to it. The temp dummy light works with a switch type sensor and will not work with a gauge. I would try and keep them both but if you can only have one let it be the gauge.
(((((((((((((IMO)))))))))))))))
Dummy lights were made to supplement gauges not replace them.

The oil pressure will also be a switch as opposed to a sensor. I got rid of this switch and my my mechanical guage came with an end for its tube that fit right in where it came out of. I dunno about the temp guage, as I rigged up one from a later model into my cluster and wired up its sensor, which came with the motor which happened to be from the same jeep the guage came from. I did give up on all these idiot lights. I just hooked the voltage up to some voltage behind the dash, but I later ran a wire all the way to the battery because it wasn't getting all the volts at the dash.

Back