• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5" Exhaust worth it?

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on re doing my exhaust. Dynomax bullet muffler with 2.5" piping all the way back. But i'm wondering how much of a difference in sound would 2.5" piping make over stock 2.25"?
and would it be worth the extra money to have a 2.5" tailpipe bent up at a shop?

way worth it - i have a bored tb, k and n intake, banks header and full 2/5 with magnaflow cat and flow master and the exhaust was my most noticeable and favorite mod... the 4.0 responds great to a 2.5 with cat and hi flow muffler - great throttle response little droning and sounds great

way worth it - i have a bored tb, k and n intake, banks header and full 2/5 with magnaflow cat and flow master and the exhaust was my most noticeable and favorite mod... the 4.0 responds great to a 2.5 with cat and hi flow muffler - great throttle response little droning and sounds great

cool cool. Anyone have ANY idea on how much a shop would charge to bend up a 2.5" tailpipe?

I got a 2.5" 409 ss from mandrelbendingsolutions(check ebay--their shop is 30min away from me) for $90+tax.

Hey Nick. How did that tailpipe fit for you? I was going to get the same one, but I was hoping to find some feedback on the fit before I bought it. Any pics of it installed?

Thanks!

Only way you will really benefit from a 2.5" exhaust is if you start from the manifold/header. Otherwise, you could put the largest pipe after the cat that you want and it wouldnt do anything.

My Stroker runs great with the stock exhaust. It is on my list of things to do to, but to be perfectly honest, there are no magic HP gains to be had in moving from 2.25in to 2.5in on the exhaust.

JW said it, start with the Manifold, then work backward. HP gains diminish exponentially the farther you get away from the head. Unless of course you are running a rear mounted turbo...

That was me that posted as Nick675 when I used his Mac(forgot to login). MandrelBendingSolutions has the tailpipe dimensions saved in their bender so they can make them at will. I bought Nick a 2.25" one and a friend the 2.5" one. My friend didn't like how loud the 2.5" Magnaflow&tailpipe combo was so I bought him the Dynomax setup and swapped out my blown out Borla(2.25"in and 2" out didn't cut it for the 4.6). I did see a significant power increase and I had to get used to it not jake-braking as much when I let off the throttle. I highly recommend them(even if they are $10-20 more than another shop).
Edit: The regular aluminized steel is $30 cheaper than their 409ss, so be aware of what you want to order(2.25"or 2.5", alu or ss steel). They also have the good band clamps you can order.

Last edited:
My cat went out and I had a while before my next smog check, so I put 2.5" pipe from where the old cat was and back, with the Cherry Bomb that was already on there.
Damn, it sounded great and was more responsive... pretty much what aparke said.

I found mine to be more responsive when I went from 2.5 back to 2.25

The size of the exhaust is tuned to the amount of flow and larger pipes are going to be more effective at higher RPMs, while smaller are better for lower RPMs. I found 2.25 to be good at 2000-2500 while 2.5 was better at 2500-3000 but I never run the engine at 3000

That was me that posted as Nick675 when I used his Mac(forgot to login). MandrelBendingSolutions has the tailpipe dimensions saved in their bender so they can make them at will. I bought Nick a 2.25" one and a friend the 2.5" one. My friend didn't like how loud the 2.5" Magnaflow&tailpipe combo was so I bought him the Dynomax setup and swapped out my blown out Borla(2.25"in and 2" out didn't cut it for the 4.6). I did see a significant power increase and I had to get used to it not jake-braking as much when I let off the throttle. I highly recommend them(even if they are $10-20 more than another shop).
Edit: The regular aluminized steel is $30 cheaper than their 409ss, so be aware of what you want to order(2.25"or 2.5", alu or ss steel). They also have the good band clamps you can order.

Thanks for the info. I was going to use the 2.5" pipe with a 5x8x24 Magnalfow. But then I heard the sound clip on Magnaflows website of the 2000 (maybe newer) Wrangler with the 5x8x18 muffler and it sounds nice. Do you know what size Magnaflow muffler your friend had on it? I think the newer Wrangler has at least two, maybe three cats on it, so that might be why it sounded quiet. You can hear it here http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/04trucks.asp

It should also be mentioned that the exhaust gained 6hp and 7lb/ft on a 2000 Cherokee. Not a lot, but a little here and there helps. If the company will bend them up in 2.25" pipe, I think I'll go that route. It's plenty big for the engine and should help keep things quiet. I am trying to avoid any droning, but would like for the exhaust to have a slight growl to it when I'm on it.
15859.jpg

Went from 2.5" flowmaster 50 delta cat back to 2.25" dynomax super turbo cat back and had a slight mileage decrease (maybe I am hammering it more because I can't hear it) as well as power loss. The dynomax is much quieter though. :smoker:

That is a fairly short muffler. If you can just measure the width and thickness of the muffler, I can find the part number for it fairly easily. The 18" would be a little quieter, and the 24" should be considerably quieter.

Interesting that some people feel a noticeable difference between the sizes. Seems to be common practice to put the 2.5" pipe on the 4.0L, but maybe not the best practice. I just want whatever will flow enough for the enough engine without being noisy...I guess that's what most of us are looking for. ;)

Back