• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

harmonic balancer mounted cps anyone?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
Been looking at ways to move the cps from the hard to reach bellhousing area to the front of the motor.The idea here is to simplify replacement on the trail.

As many of you know Hesco sells a kit that costs $300 that includes a replacement balancer that has crank position trigger notches machined on the outer hub.I was on their site looking at there kits and looks like these balancers are custom machined for them or by them???

Thinking about making a ring that mounts to the outer hub of the balancer and has the trigger notches cut in.Then I'll figure out how to mount the stock cps to the timing cover after extending the wires,ofcourse.

Comments?

CPS' are not that hard to change, once you have done one they're a piece of cake after that.

Only thing I could see as a possible issue is that the harmonic balancer isn't mounted rigidly, while the flywheel is. How much movement on that balancer would be too much?? And what happens when you add weight to the harmonic balancer???

Just thinking out loud.

wow.... people are seriously saying a cps isnt hard to change....

i for one, look forward to hearing of your progress outlander

From the images on Hesco's site it looks like they remove material from a stock style balancer to get the correct gaps then they rebalance it.

If you add or remove material from the balancer it has to be rebalanced.

I had thought about that also......how possible is this?

With the way my work schedule is during the week I am left to day dream about mods until the weekend rolls around when I can actually do them.
I'll do some poking around this weekend and see if a access hole can be done.

Last edited:
Three extensions, a wobbly and a 11mm. . .
I do dig the adjustability factor of the hb mounted ckp, though.

Not on my Jeep... but on my '96 Mustang Cobra I added an adjustable CPS that was located under the front harmonic balancer. This also allowed a little play in the timing and could give a pretty good bump in HP and Torque... along with throttle response.

I replaced my CPS on my '96XJ and I don't know why everyone is saying it's easy. It wasn't terrible... but far from easy if you ask me. I had to remove the front drive shaft to get access w/my hands to get the bolts started back in. Also almost dropped one of the bolts in the cut-out hole for the bellhousing and that would NOT have been fun to dig/fish/get out and back on. I can't imagine the pain-in-the-butt it would be changing one out on the trail...

I do like the idea of cutting a hole in the floor-pan if that's feasible and doesn't lead to rust/water/etc...

I like your ideas and will follow this thread too.

You would have to remove teh center console and probably other stuff to get it out. maybe just a small removable panel on each side of the tunnel. But how much would that weaken the unibody? Or we could just be over thinking this.

Back