• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ugh...Shock Bolts

93gtosu

NAXJA Forum User
Well I broke all 4 upper shock bolts and I can not get them out. Heads snapped off flush. Its a stock 97 SE.

I tried to use my air hammer to chisel them out, but all that seems to do it make a lot of noise. It isn't punching the nut off...its just chiseling a little of the bolt out. Compressor is full and pressure is at 90psi.

I tried a punch and hammer (carpenters hammer :rolleyes:) and that got nowhere.

What else can I do?

Lets say I try to drill the old bolt out to re-tap the nut...is there enough material there? What size should I use?

Keep at it with the air hammer. Mine, in my 97, just popped out with some air chiseling.

You may want to concentrate the pressure at the edges. The nuts are just tacked in there.

Use a pointed punch on the air chisel, the nuts should pop right out. I have done several this way.

I am using the pointed chisel.

Just to confirm that I am using the chisel right....

I should keep it pressed against the bolt right using constant force right? Or do I just lightly press?

I won the fight against the leaf spring bolts....it saddens me that these darn bolts are being such a pain.

All but one have popped out within 5-10 seconds. Only one needed two tries of 20-30 seconds each. Press firmly, wear safety glasses, and keep your mouth closed.

Tim is right the easiest is with a pointed chisel. I've done this at least a dozen or so times for friends and family. Keep going with the air chisel. Firm pressure is the key. It may even seem like all it's doing is making noise but it will pop.

are you using a ho chi mhin frieght air hammer or a good one? lol
my matco long barrel air hammer will knock just about anything off and its not that expensive 100 bucks or less. its a good thing to have cause lots of hard to move things move well with an air hammerhasta

I am using a harbor freight style cheapo air hammer. Ram Tools, it was $11.99. :rolleyes:

I guess I'll pick up a better brand this week, there's no more time this weekend to do anything.

First blast the crap out of it with this stuff: google kano labs: aerokroil

Also if you use a small torch to heat the are and then spray penetrating lub on there it will work the gunk out. also hit the bolt with a punch after soaking it.
Then try some left hand drill bits (HF has them cheep)

Then e-z out that biotch! worat comes to worst you can go back to the air chisel, but it just seems too difficult to be precise, i have better luck with a hammer, and sharp chisel.

Good luck!

Back