• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 AW4 into a 96... issues?

new-xj

NAXJA Forum User
Well I bought a used transmission from someone on a local forum (kcjeepclub.org) who swore the transmission was good and was just what I needed to get my heep running...

Well paid someone to help lend me a hand (I have a broken hand from an auto accident) got it all in, dumped fluid in it and started it up...

First thing... tried shifting through the gears. Nothing. Engines idle changes as you would expect when going from P to N, but the gears do no engage.

Second, when shifting from any gear to park, there's a slight grinding noise.

Third, with the selector in P, you can shove the heep back and forth as if it were in neutral.

Forth, checked the transfer case and it's fine, shifts through 2H to 4L w/o issues.

So... was I sold a bunk transmission or is it not compatible with my transfer case (factory 231 from a 98) or is due to model differences between the 96 (my heep) and the 86 (heep trans was removed from)?

I read early models had a 21 spline output shaft on the transmission and later models had 23, would this change anything? Is it possible the transfer case is not mating to my transmission as it should?

I read early models had a 21 spline output shaft on the transmission and later models had 23, would this change anything? Is it possible the transfer case is not mating to my transmission as it should?

Yes and yes...

you'll want a trans. from a '92 (I think) or later to mate with the transfer case or vice versa.

Back