• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering

I like this setup, and have seen similar 1 ton setups take some good abuse.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TNST&Category_Code=S6

Im making an OTK setup similar to Rustys. Spendy to buy, cheaper to make.

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=OTK01&Category_Code=ste

Also Currie, I have seen take some good abuse and hold up.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product.aspx?id=1219

Thier is inverted T setup, OTK, and a Y link(?)(stock) style. Search on those, and whats best for your intentions.

Will the JCR 1 Ton be a good investment? Is that what I should get?

Do I need to weld in taper things with that, or is the point of a reamer to make thoe taper things..?

TheArsonist21 said:
Do I need to weld in taper things with that, or is the point of a reamer to make thoe taper things..?
You won't need any inserts if you install the tie rod under the knuckles; you can just ream them for a bigger tie rod end. If you want to install the tie rod over the knuckles, you need to drill out the holes and use an insert to make the tapered hole from the top. You need to clearance your swaybar mounts too, if you want to put a wheel-to-wheel tie rod over the knuckles.

I have the JCR 1 ton. For Under The Knuckle, You will need to drill AND ream the knuckles as well as the pitman arm to fit the larger tierod ends. For OTK, you will need to relocate your swaybar links and cut back the spring perches and possible relocate your trackbar....PITA. So I went UTK for now. When I want to go OTK, I'll either do WJ conversion or just get new knucks

djblade311 said:
I have the JCR 1 ton. For Under The Knuckle, You will need to drill AND ream the knuckles as well as the pitman arm to fit the larger tierod ends. For OTK, you will need to relocate your swaybar links and cut back the spring perches and possible relocate your trackbar....PITA. So I went UTK for now. When I want to go OTK, I'll either do WJ conversion or just get new knucks

Ding ding ding... Winner.

I installed a set of our 1-ton OTN at our shop and it was a major PITA... I will never do it again on a TJ, XJ, ZJ D30. Everything is in the way (swaybar mounts, coil buckets, steering stabilizer mount), and even if you cut everything out of the way you still need to add .25" steering stop spacers.

If you can't live with under the knukle, go with WJ knuckles. I can make bolt on, or 1-ton rods for it, and the steering and braking upgrade is amazing. I used to run it on my YJ and it was one of the best mods I ever did.

~Daryl
JCR

TheArsonist21 said:
How much money is a reamer?

dunno how much a reamer is, but my local 4x4 shop charged me $20 a hole to ream out my knuckles and pitman arm. $60 bux isnt a bad price to make sure its done right, and if you buy the reamer, you probly wont ever use it again.

-Tim

Back