• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Builds: What junkyard parts will fit an XJ?

RedZeppelinXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys i'm looking to compile a list of junkyard parts that will mod up an XJ.....here is the list I have compiled on JF so far. Please add anything you know of or make suggestions for these upgrades, this list is for all jeepers. Here is the original thread: Budget Builds.....

Suspension & Lift:
1. ZJ V8 Upcountry Coils = 1-1.5" lift
2. F-150/Bronco Coils ('79-ish) = 4-4.5" lift
3. S10 leaf packs (cut eyes off S10 main and bolt pack under XJ main) = 3-4" lift
4. JK shocks = slight mod to fit 2-4" lift
5. MJ Shackles = 1/2" lift
6. Camaro Spring Isolators = 1.5" lift

Brakes:
1. WJ brake booster
2. WJ Master Cylinder
3. YJ Brake Lines = 3-4" longer
4. Dodge Ram Van Brake Lines = 10-12" longer (for big lifts)
5. WJ Rotors/Calipers = bigger brakes and more stopping power (will fit 15" rims)

Axles:
1. Ford 8.8 inch ('97+) = need spring & shock mounts (4.10, LSD, Disc Brakes)
2. XJ I-4 & V6 = 4.10 gears (some have 4.56) may have vacuum discos

Front End & Steering:
1. ZJ V8 Tierods = beefier & bolt in
2. WJ Knuckles/Tierods/Draglinks = beefier and crossover steering
3. Durango Steering Box = beefier
4. 350 or 351 Power Steering Pump = helps with oversize tires (requires welding)
5. WJ LCA's = more tire clearance (some grinding required)
6. ZJ pitman arm = 1 inch drop over stock

Engine Performance:
1. Newer XJ intakes (may require some modification)
2. Mustang 5.0 Injectors = bolt in (have 4 holes instead of 1, more fuel, better spray)
3. ZJ V8 alternator = more power to run accessories (some grinding required)
4. Taurus Dual Electric Fans ('96-98) = replaces mechanical fan, better cooling

Other:
1. '94+ V6 Dakota AX-15 = bolt in (but must use XJ bellhousing)
2. Lebaron or laser hood vents = help keep ur 4.0 cool
3. 97+ mirrors are direct bolt in to older XJ's and allow you to fold them in on tight trails.
4. MJ Bucket seats = tilt forward, bolt in to at least older XJ's
5. ZJ gas tank skid = can be modified to fit 97+
6. ZJ and WJ stock tranny coolers with stacked plates (even an upgrade for us with the stock fin style)
7. GM power antennas replace your broken XJ's with little modification
8. 5spd crossmembers give 3/4 inch tcase drop on autos with no loss in ground clearance
9. You can convert the closed system to open without replacing your radiator by using the fill cap from a 4.7 durango or dakota, cutting it into your upper hose, and replace your bottle with an Mj overflow tank or any that fit. Then cap off or eliminate the T'ed lines in the heater core.

search. its been covered eleventy billion times herehasta.

and if your too lazy to search here are some threads on the subject:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=951380&highlight=junkyard

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66012&highlight=junkyard

the purpose of this thread is so others can have something to find when they search....and people can post new things they find or use.....i started this thread with 32 jy mods that not everyone knows about

Newer Dodge Upper controls arm can be used for longer lower control arms, they will work with about 4-4.5" of lift. (this may not be a JY mod yet)

Also some of the 87-89 Cherokees with tow packages have D44 that will bolt up to any XJ.

what years, and models? do you mean full size trucks, or durangos, or dakotas, or what? Thanks for the tip tho!

As has been posted a million times before (but might as well put it all in one place so it's easy to find):

XJ Automatic front driveshaft will work for a Hack-n-Tap SYE elimination on the rear driveshaft for an Auto XJ. You'll need a 3103-27CV yoke for the transfer case output shaft. You may need a seal and flange if your NP231 has the old tailcone that sealed against the slip yoke. See http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm for a full writeup

a V8 ZJ auto front driveshaft will work for some Manual XJ Hack-n-Tap SYEs, not sure on the lift range they cover.

Many upgrades are possible to the instrument cluster - the differences between "idiot light" and full gauge versions are not electrical, and they should be interchangeable between some model years (unsure on full list). Updating the cluster to make the odometer read accurately OR getting a note put on your registration saying the odometer is not accurate is required to make this legal.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=988299&page=2

^^^ Alternators that work.

I got a 117 amp alternator out of a Dakota 2.5L and it required absolutely no modification at all. Well.. it required a bit but that"s only because I snapped off a couple nuts on the JY Dakota one, but they were all nuts on studs that could be salvaged from the old XJ alternator. Now I have the extra 27 amps (even though the XJ has been in storage ever since putting it in and I cant enjoy it) :( Picked the alternator up for dirt cheap too, maybe $20-$30

Back