• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New longarms, now front end noise..suggestions?

xjchris98

NAXJA Forum User
So after finally getting some longarms fabbed up, I now have this horrible noise coming from the front end. Its a moaning noise that almost sounds like a resonance that only starts at 40. Above 50-55 it seems to dissipate some and the tire/general lifted jeep noise takes over. It doesnt make any change in sound when you turn left or right either. Im okay with the typical tire noise/etc, but this gets REALLY loud about 40. It almost sounds like im running boggers.

I thought it may have been a bad wheel bearing, but i've since replaced both of those and its still doing it. I've also replaced both of the upper bushings on the axle end (they were toast). The front U-joints and ball joints are good and i've driven it without the front shaft in with no changes in noise, so I know its nothing in that department. I replaced the transmission mount when I had the skidplate dropped, but I dont think that would cause this type of noise...or could it? I also stretched the front end out ~2" with the new arms, but dont see how this could cause any issues. The tires have been rotated as well, again with no changes in noise.

The arms are made of 2.63" Ballistic Joints at the frame end and their 2.63" poly bushing at the axle end. The uppers are 3/4" heims mounted to the lower arms (Y-link). The arms are mounted to the TnT Bellypan, similar to how TnT does their high clearance arms...only without notching the skidplate and without the high-clearance arms. Heres a few pics of the setup..

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

I was thinking it could possibly be the carrier bearings, but I've pulled the cover and tried prying up on the carrier and there is zero play in the carrier, so im doubtful to believe its those. When I was setting up the arms I was more concerned about the correct pinion angle and less with caster angles. I got the pinion angle set PERFECT....but the caster measured out to be ~1.4* when I got my alignment done.

Im at a total loss right now and hate to just start throwing more money at things that 'might' be wrong. Im trying to get this sorted out before winter when I cant drown out the noise with the windows being down :cry:

Any help/suggestions are appreciated on this one!

The caster angle is more important than the pinion angle. Also is that 1.4* positive or negative camber?

The caster angle is more important than the pinion angle. Also is that 1.4* positive or negative camber?

I was always under the impression on lifted rigs that the pinion angle superseded the caster angle (to some extent obviously). And I believe it was 1.4* positive (in other words, the axle was rotated towards the front making the pinion point more at the transfer case).

Back