• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ ECM help needed

Tall Shadow

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to track down some goblins in/on my 2000 4.0 XJ. I've managed to work through most of it's demons, but a few are still being elusive.

I think I've tracked it down to the ECM being/going bad. I can get another ECM locally, but I'm told that it needs to be programed when I install it or before I do.

I really don't have the time and or cash to pay a dealer to do this, so my questions are.......

(1.) Can I just get an ECM that is correct to my XJ and install it WITHOUT re programming it? And what will that do/not do to the XJ?

(2.) If I were to just install the ECM in #1, is there a way for ME to reprogram it (fairly) easily?

(3.) If #1, and/or #2 aren't possable...Do you know of an inexpensive place to buy an ECM on-line?

Thank You All!

Tall Shadow :repair:

1) If you get an exact replacement ECU, it does not require re-programming. Re-programming is a good idea, but optional.

2) No.

3) There are used and refurbished ECU's on-line and on eBay.

1) If you get an exact replacement ECU, it does not require re-programming. Re-programming is a good idea, but optional.
With the exception of the odometer!

the ecm will not effect the odometer reading...that is stored in the guage cluster itself.

as long as you get a ecm from another 2000 cherokee (they are year specific only, ie one from a 99, 01 etc will not work) it will be plug and play and require no programming at all... compare the part numbers printed on the unit...the numbers should be the same, if the letters at the end are different that is ok, its just a program update, is AD, AE A_ will all work...also be careful to not get one with the sentry key activated, because once that has been activated it cant be un-done (unless your jeep has the sentry key system in which case it doesnt matter).

its really a simple swap over and the ecms can be found for around $50, ebay, cl etc

Back