• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Tire Carrier - homemade??

bacelaw

NAXJA Forum User
Other than ratchet straps or bungee chords - anyone even made a homemade rooftop tire carrier?

I have the roof rack, seems like there must be a simple fix.

There is a mopar carrier that fits into the rack.. dunno if you can still get it... but I wouldnt attach anything to the rails

Thats pretty slick. Only one thing I would change is rain gutter mounts. I just don't feel comfortable with trusting the factory track mounts to restrain it in a collision. I know your thinking big deal the Jeep would be totaled anyway, but if it resulted in a death it would be tought to deal with. At least for me anyway.

bacelaw said:

squintnono.gif
Bumping is not allowed.
Billy

Participants shall not “bump” threads. Bumping can refer to posting useless information, making corrections or updates in a new post, posting one-liners (such as “BTT”) or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot or to bring it to the top of its Forum.

It's annoying. This is an incredible resource with tons of knowledgeable people lurking about. Answering questions for users is not their sole job. When you see that some have looked at your thread but not attempted to answer it, it's b/c they don't know. Just chill and be patient...I've seen very few threads go unanswered on this site.

When you say you have the roof rack, do you mean you have a factory rack or an aftermarket basket?

riverfever said:
Participants shall not “bump” threads. Bumping can refer to posting useless information, making corrections or updates in a new post, posting one-liners (such as “BTT”) or any other action to deliberately keep a thread hot or to bring it to the top of its Forum.

Thanks for the posting of the rules, i was looking, and looking, you know, to double check, but couldn't find them. Thanks. Really nice of you. Can you sense the sarcasm? I'm laying it on pretty thick.

i have the factory roof rack.

this forum is incredibly useful, thanks also for pointing that out.

scooby please take that link to my SISTER off thank you :phone:

she ties up the phone too much as it is.

Seriously, someone posted a wooden ghettofab wooden roof rack lately, probably fabricabal from stuff lying around ones' house anyway.

cheap, cheep, cheap :D

i have a roof rack. just thought it would be easy to fabricate a wooden tire carrier to go on the roof.

thought maybe someone else had done it.

Yakima made some universal gutter mounts that had a flat top with a bolt hole. A couple pieces of 1x2 rect. tube and a guy had an easy tire rack or whatever. Actually in their instructions they detail how to make something out of wood 2x4's but that's kinda ghetto.

I agree with Gunner, putting a spare up top may look cool but it makes the vehicle feel real top heavy. I just finished redoing my roof rack by upgrading the rail mounts, adding HiLift jack mounts and a spare tire mount for a 31" tire with a cool screw down holder. It looked the bomb, but when I went out wheeling, it made my cherokee feel real tippy. Needless to say i'm disapointed with this but I will keep the rack up there but w/o the spare. Planning to build a bumper with a swingout tire carrier this winter. Just my .02 worth.
Tony

I have aftermarket bumpers, great swingout tire carrier mechanism/system but could never reconcile the huge decrease in rearview visability. For the time being I removed the oem spare bracket and bungeed/cable locked the spare (31") in the same location.

Still lose a bit of visibility and the rubber squeaks like heck against the plastic trim, but what the hey - I work in a middle school and its' difficult enough seeing all the kids darting around the parking lot anyway :wierd:

I wondered about the visibility part with a rear swing out mount too....I'll have to think about that one.

Tony

Don't get me wrong, the bumpers and swingout carrier are top notch products, except after a while I kookily considered a rear view camera set-up (like six years ago, before they became all the rage in the high-end suv market). Oh yeah, major pita if you use the hatch on a daily basis, espesicially if you padlock the carrier like I did.

I suggest driving a friend's set-up if you can to see what it's really like w/partially blocked vision. Heck, make a cardboard cutout and tape in to the window (disclaimer: don't try this in actual traffic) :sure:

I wish I did and could have saved x amount of $$$.

For some reason the rear tire carriers are a big turn off for me.

I'm going to draw up some plans, if anyone is interested, I can post my ideas.

My predicament is the same.
Nowhere to put the 31" spare. Haven't bought a roof rack yet, don't have a cool bumper w/holder, too big for the inside- too many downsides to wherever you put the damn thing!
My thought is now this-

Most DD flats are a result of a nail in a tire. Very easily fixed with a plug and a cheapie compressor. The tools needed to fix this are small and lightweight. Quite convenient really, and think about all the miles you 're NOT lugging around the spare, either on top of, in back of, or in your jeep.

But when you go wheelin, take the full size spare by any means.

31 will fit inside stock area if you remove the bracket at the bottom, then bungee

Back