• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flat black

skull_black

NAXJA Forum User
i want to spray paint my jeep flat black not sure how though
i havent started at all
what sand paper do i use to take original paint down far enough so i can spraypaint and then can i just paint once and not have to worry about rust or anything like that
i dont want a shiny or sheen look just flat and it doesnt need to look perfect like im not to worried about runs or anything im just worried about rust
so what do i do?

Well i painted my jeep with engine enamel and i sanded down far enough to get the clear coat and shine off. I dont remember what grade sand paper i used but i used a semi rough one to get the clear coat off and then used a smoother one to get the shine out of the paint. Make sure you clean it good after words though

Somebody else will probably chime in, who has done it. I'm planning on rattle canning my XJ this spring. I'm looking at 400 to 800 grit for the areas where the paint is good, and a bit more on the few very minor rust spots.

I'm budgeting atleast 10 to 12 cans of spray to do mine.

Aren't you looking at doing a show car type build? If you plan on entering it in any shows, you'll want better than a rattle can job. There's supposed to be a roll on paint you can do that looks pretty good. Someone posted about it in here. Search in here. They came out real good. One was flat black, the others were gloss of other colors.

thanks coastie thats some good info
and darky no im not goin show car im goin full off road just with a touch of show car i guess you could say cause im going to put a sound system in and somehow figure out a tv and xbox in there so when were bored drinkin around the fiire we can game a little to just sounds like a fun idea

Rattle can flat black looks good for about a week, then starts looking like a cheap paint job. If you want something that will retain its appearance, get a can of Dupont Pitch Black acrylic enamel and a can of Flattener at your local car paint store. Have someone spray it. If you do all the prep work and tape it, you should be able to find someone in the business that will squirt it after work or on Saturday for fairly cheap. If worse comes to worse, get a $15 HF 20 oz gravity feed paint gun and beg, borrow, steal an air compressor for an afternoon.

I did a big Ford Pickup where we pulled all the chrome, and filled all the holes. We went with a satin black. I then did ghost flames in shades of grey with varying amounts of flat. It looked cool.

Black05.jpg

http://www.cincyoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27550#post27550

Robert

thanks coastie thats some good info
and darky no im not goin show car im goin full off road just with a touch of show car i guess you could say cause im going to put a sound system in and somehow figure out a tv and xbox in there so when were bored drinkin around the fiire we can game a little to just sounds like a fun idea
old man has good advice. I painted mine flat black and about 2 years later, when I repainted it tan, the fenders had turned ashy gray, the oxidation had worked it's way back through the paint (thought I had sanded it good enough). Make sure you do real good prep, you don't need to sand all the way to bare metal, in fact it's probably best not to. Make sure you actually mask the windows...I thought I could spray the areas away from the windows and only worry about masking when I was near the windows. Overspray travels. I'm going to look up the rolled on paint thread.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=990304&highlight=roll+paint

Back