• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 problems PLEASE HELP

Trail Blazer

NAXJA Forum User
got the brakes fixed today, so now its time to work on the trans. i drained all the old fluid out (just put this transmission on, did not fill the torque with fluid, was told it would fill via the pump in the trans) and added new fluid (6 qts). i started it up, let it sit for 1 minute so as the TC could fill with fluid then shut it off and checked fluid levels. levels were fine. started it up again and proceeded to run it through the gears, then shut it off again and checked fluid-fine again.

Started it up again to run through gears again and i can take my foot off the brake while in ALL the gears and nothing happens..... did i miss something???

Soundly confused.

You say AX15 problem, but it sure sounds to me like you are talking slush box.

Why don't you start over with year/engine/trans/tc and any other info that might be remotely connected to your problem.

ok, here's my confusion....when you say TC, are you talking about a torque converter or a transfer case?

An AX-15 is a manual transmission that requires gear lube for it's fluid, not atf. The transfer case uses atf or GL-5 oil I believe. So for your transmission to fill the t-case is ludicrous as it would fill it with the wrong fluid. But it's even more ludicrous to think a manual tranny would fill a torque converter. Unless you meant AW-4 and not AX-15, in which case, yes the fluid should fill the torque converter automatically.

So assuming you actually have an auto tranny, not an ax-15, and you're concerned about your torque converter being filled, my first thought would be, have you tried shifting gears in the t-case to make sure it isn't in neutral? perhaps toss it in 4-hi and see if it moves? If so, toss it back in 2wd and see if it moves. If it now moves in both, it may have just been knocked out of gear during installation. If it works in one but not the other, you might consider checking the linkage to make sure it doesn't need to be adjusted after the install.

now if it is really an ax-15, I'm totally baffled! :cheers:

so yeah, '93 auto tranny is an AW-4 (Aisin-Warner 4-speed I believe is what it stands for).

I would first double check to make sure the transfer case isn't in neutral, then I would start it and let it idle for some time....and by that, I mean at least 2 beers.

The torque converter is filled with a ton of tiny little passages that slowly fill with fluid. I know draining them takes forever and a day. I wouldn't be surprised to find out filling them takes about as long.

Thank you for the details.

Capacity is about 12 quarts including the torque converter. You said you put in six, sounds like you need to run it longer and keep checking the level as the fluid is insufficiently filled to provide a fluid coupling.

SanDiegoXJ, The GL5 fluid thing was a misprint in both the owner's manual and the factory service manual. GL3 is what is actually needed. A Service Bulletin was issued. Not trying to hijack, sorry. I just went through this with the NAPA guys today.

They were pissed when i showed them the bulletin...

Back