• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front/ Rear Diff.

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 91 has the 8.25/D30 combo. The rear needs to replace, rebuilt soon! I have found the same combo off a 95. Is this just a plug and play type deal? Just a straight swap? This will allow me to have a lot more time to build and regear the spares.

I'm pretty sure it is - iirc the 27 to 29 spline change on the 8.25 happened a few years after the two model years you list, so you should be fine. You'll want to buy new U-bolts probably if the old ones appear rusty or difficult to remove.

Update - 97+ 8.25s have the different spline count (they have 29, pre-97 have 27) so yes it should be bolt in. I may be mistaken but I believe that if you get the pinion yoke along with the axle it shouldn't matter either way anyways, as they use the same size U-joints. Someone more experienced should be able to answer that question.

Just be sure to get one with the same gear ratio. I highly suggest getting a 97-01 8.25 as a replacement. It gets you the 29 spline rear axle.

Back