• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking comes and goes, not piston slap, not lifters?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My 94 that gets driven by my mother primarily has started a clicking sound in the engine while hot, it starts out faint then progressively gets louder then just stops like a switch cut it off! It will idle/run just fine for a few minutes and then start again. It seems to be coming from the injectors, I have used the stethoscope to track it down and it is the loudest near the #5 and #6 injectors. Barley can hear it on the lifter side of the engine and its definetly not piston slap. I have had that issue on my 90 and know that sound well. The fact that it starts out faint then gets louder then just stops has me baffled.

Anyone else ran into this? Its an annoying noise.

94 4.0/AW4

Loose bolts on the converter ? Rocker arm ? ABS pump ?Purge solenoid for evap canister ?

Just guessing--
Wayne

I checked the flex plate, its tight. Where is the purge solenoid on the 91-95 XJ's? Its not in the same spot as the 96's. It's going to get new rockers/fulcrums so we'll see if thats it after its done.

Yeah, I'd say either lifters or piston slap.

...but seriously folks...Is it happening when your rolling too, or just sitting?

Don't know, sorry no help...but at least I read the title.

ya that is my mistake considering there's a QUESTION MARK at the end of his supposedly STATEMENT

but seriously folks, please work on your grammatical integrity

you checked that the flexplate is tight, how about a bent inspection cover or the piece of tin between the engine and bellhousing?

Back