• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95xj will my tranny get burnt up if i coast in neutral with engine off?

95cherjustin

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes it coasts with engine off in neutral being towed or to save gas or something stupid.

95 xj AW4 auto 4x4.

if engine is off and coasting will that burn up tranny with no lubrication or does it have a tailshaft pump that keeps pump fluid running with rear driveshaft spinning.?

Jeeps are popular vehicles to tow because the transfer case can be put in neutral, and nothing else needs to spin. Not so much now, because they're older, but back in the day a good number of vehicles being flat-towed behind larger motor homes were XJs and Wranglers, because the drive train is so easily disconnected. But, don't drive in neutral, or with the engine off. You lose your power assists- not too safe, and in most places, is illegal, anyway. And, you're not gonna save enough fuel to make a difference, what with having to start it again.

Last edited:
Well i know when towing you can remove driveshafts but what about driving with front shaft removed for mpg savings and coasting in nuetral on a long hill or something. I know i lose vacuum after awhile and lose power steering and all but will tranny lose lubrication and burn up.?

The beauty of these Jeeps is that you don't have to remove driveshafts. Removing the front won't save much, if any fuel, because everything's still turning anyway. They haven't put rear pumps in auto trannies since the fifties, so yeah, you could damage it. You've gotta get all this coasting stuff out of your head. It won't save anything, and may get you hurt.

That reminds me of a semi-derail question... Every driveshaft and U-joint manufacturer I have seen recommends that all bolts and any pressed straps (cold formed or forged straps are OK for reuse apparently) be replaced every time they are removed. Where do you guys buy your straps+bolts, or do you ignore that and reuse em?

Uh- in almost forty years of beating on U-joints, I've never replaced a U-bolt or strap, and thankfully, have never wished I did. Of course, I've never had vehicles that lasted this long, or had as many miles on them. I guess from now on I start replacing them!

On our kill trucks we always replace the straps when replacing u-joints and use loctite on the threads.

I have always replaced the straps/u-bolts on customers' vehicles when replacing the u-joints or having to pull the drive shaft for any reason. Too cheap an item to have to go to court for or to have to eat a comeback.

Good advice! Like I said, I've been lucky in that I've never wished I did. But now that I know better... Thanks.
Now, if we can get people to stop thinking about driving around with their engines shut off...

I only do that when I run out of gas... due to Joe's comment reminding me a few weeks ago about how bad that is for the gas pump, I haven't been doing that recently. I'm not quite sure why Justin wants to drive around with the engine off as a general thing though...

Coasting with the engine off is pretty stupid.

And, I was surprised to learn that you burn less gas going downhill with it in gear, than coasting in neutral. With the truck in gear, gravity will turn the engine; when it's in neutral, more fuel is injected to keep it spinning enough to run the power accessories.

I know guys sometimes i really just try to stretch it and have gotten 21.89 to 22.77 around town for the past 4 weeks in my aw4 but figured something might get destroyed doing it too much.

Hi,
For anyone concerned about gas prices and milage visit this site.......
http://wps.com/LPG/LPG-book-final.html I have been running my 93 XJ on LPG for over 30,000 miles, must have saved a small fortune. The XJ is an excellent vehicle for conversion and apart from one small problem I have had no troubles in over 5 years. HTH

Back