• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable XJ shackles

DaveXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, seems like this is the right place to ask this but please move it if it's not the right forum.

I've got an XJ that I'm trying to build cheap, I need to lift the rear without buying springs because this is just a wild hair I got and the wife is limiting my budget. I'd like to maybe try these XJax shackles that I found on ebay. I'd get to adjust the lift as much as I want and all I'd have to do is find some budget puck lifts for the front springs. Is that what they are called budget pucks? Anyway I was wondering if you guys thought these were a good deal and maybe any other tips you'd have for a new jeep buyer. THANKS

XJax shackles http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP...rQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_993wt_1167

those shackles look interesting. I've never seen that design before. If they use threaded rods for control arms, why not for shackles, I guess.

However, just using shackles in the rear, especially with stock springs and at 3"!, is going to flatten and quite possibly invert your springs over time. Not a good thing. You might want to look at a combo of an add-a-leaf and a shackle in the rear and using the spacers in front.

You can get a 2" add-a-leaf for around $50-60 and a 1-2" shackle for $50 (rough country) and for the same price as those shackles have a slightly better setup in the rear. And the front spacers are only about $40-50. Your shocks will be at their limit, though, so you might want to consider longer shocks.

Search around for "junkyard upgrades" and "bastard pack" on here. There's a few vehicles you can find at the junkyard that'll allow to get a cheap lift. F150 coils, T-Bird coils, leafs from S10 and Dakota, or really any other vehicle using a 2.5" wide leaf will swap in. For the leafs you'd be building a leaf pack using various leaves from each pack. You should be able to get it done pretty in expensively and then just have to source some control arms. Keep an eye on our classifieds here as well as Craigslist, etc.

2" is about all your going to do on a budget using pucks. If ya go higher than that you will need to replace more parts and 2.25" pucks are about the highest to safely go with from what ive read .

I used a set of these front....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-25...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

With the adjustable rear shackles you found you can level it out to match them.

I have run stock shocks and brake lines (SWAYBAR CONNECTED) with this set up and didnt have any problems.

Bastard packs are good but most of them will net 3-4.5" of lift which put you back to spending more for transfer case drop,pitman arms,longer brake lines, shocks etc.

Last edited:
I am curious if anyone has tried these adjustable shackles and how they worked. Looks like a good idea, but... I am just curious, not passing my own judgment.

2" is about all your going to do on a budget using pucks. If ya go higher than that you will need to replace more parts and 2.25" pucks are about the highest to safely go with from what ive read .

I used a set of these front....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-25...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

With the adjustable rear shackles you found you can level it out to match them.

I have run stock shocks and brake lines (SWAYBAR CONNECTED) with this set up and didnt have any problems.

Bastard packs are good but most of them will net 3-4.5" of lift which put you back to spending more for transfer case drop,pitman arms,longer brake lines, shocks etc.
That's the good thing with Bastard packs is you can build it as high or as low as you want. With experimenting you can easily make a 2" one. As far pitman arms, shocks and brake lines, I was at 4.5" up front on stock relocated brake lines and no sway bar and had a little room left on the lines. I was also using my stock shocks so they likely limited my droop, but you can do the same with limit straps, or just keep the sway bar hooked up depending on type of wheeling. I went many places at 3" with the sway bar hooked up. I'm now at 5.5" and still have the stock pitman arm. At 3" even, a t-case drop wouldn't have to be necessary, depends on the Jeep, some are very forgiving. Mine was all the way up to 4.5". Above that vibes were bad. And either way a t-case drop can also be done very inexpensively. Someone has done and made a writeup on here somewhere. I went with an SYE for $400 including new shaft. You could also search for SYE and shaft under $100 NOT 56K FRIENDLY. He did it for pretty cheap using ingenuity and off the shelf parts. He kindly documented the ingenuity portion so we only have to read and follow.

Obviously, I feel that putting together a bastard lift would be the best option, but from what I've read Iron Man has a decent reputation. Cher96 usually posts an ad in any thread that could relate. ;)

Guys, he's asking about those shackles here, not a budget bastard pack...

To the original post... I have never seen those before. The design seems interesting and it looks well executed but I don't know if I'd trust them... our shackles see a fair amount of twisting torque when the Jeep is flexed out which might be a problem. We use adjustable control arms, and they see quite a bit of twist too, but they usually have some sort of joint on them that articulates a lot better then rubber... (ie Johnny joints...) so the joint normally sees the twist rather then the threaded portion of the arms.

But then again, having never seen thses or used them I could just be making stuff up :)

Buy em and let us know how it goes... haha

Cher96? huh?

He's fooling with you. I only Post Up information that people can either take or leave alone. I have posted up product that I feel may be useful in making choices. Just look at the thread on transmission coolers or selectable lockers and so forth. If I feel something is awesome and noteworthy... I'll post it. That's all. I do recommend his stuff because... it's just plain awesome for the value. I have posted up other product from other companies as well if I feel it would be advantageous in the build someone is doing. When you are treated right and the product is great most people want to share it with others. I do too.

Back to Topic:

I just ordered a set this past week and he will be sending them out to me. Below is a photo of one. I like the design. I think they will hold up better than a lot of more expensive shackles out there. If I like them as much as all the other product I have purchased from him... I will again post up this option for extended shackles like I have for his adjustable short arms. I like his stuff so much, I have ordered everything he has except his new long arm radius arms and just like everyone else I have to pay as well for what I get.

As for the Long Arm Radius Arms Kit... I am just now trying to figure how to mount them on my new XJ.

Hope this helps.

cher96 Vicki

Here is a photo of his shackles he first made and sent to me for my opinion. I like the design so much I went ahead and ordered a pair that day.

29mvuoh.jpg

I picked up an S10 pack for $25, that's more budget than those shackles and no questions about it working.

As a lot of Jeepers have posted. Add A Leafs usually do not last for long. Best to go with a Bastard Pack or some BDS Leaf Springs IMHO. My Add A Leafs flattened out and I am doing a Bastard Pack next week when I get my new Iron Man 4x4 Extended Super Shackles.

As for the Iron Man 4x4 Extended Super Shackles. I am pretty sure I am getting some of his first sets so there are probably few to none that can comment on how well they work. I will let you all know as soon as I have mine on and I get them out on the trail as to how well they work. I am absolutely certain they will be awesome like all the other product I have purchased and used from his shop.

Hope this helps.

cher96 Vicki

Obviously, I feel that putting together a bastard lift would be the best option, but from what I've read Iron Man has a decent reputation. Cher96 usually posts an ad in any thread that could relate. ;)

He's fooling with you. I only Post Up information that people can either take or leave alone. I have posted up product that I feel may be useful in making choices. Just look at the thread on transmission coolers or selectable lockers and so forth. If I feel something is awesome and noteworthy... I'll post it. That's all. I do recommend his stuff because... it's just plain awesome for the value. I have posted up other product from other companies as well if I feel it would be advantageous in the build someone is doing. When you are treated right and the product is great most people want to share it with others. I do too.
That's why I said Iron Man seems to have a good rep. You post about how good they've been to you so frequently that either they've been really good to you or they're paying you by the word...:D If they treat one person excellently, chances are they treat most of their customers pretty good. And in all of your posts about them, I can't recall anyone coming in and saying they're no good. So, I'd trust the company.

Dave I'm right over in Mesick. We should get together and hit up some trails sometime. If you ever need help working on your jeep just let me know.

Back