• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my Jeep worth salvage???

Went muddin today at an old mudhole I haven't been to in over 3 years. Found out the hard way that it got A LOT deeper. Four and a half hours, 2 tow-trucks, 4 12,000lb tow chains, and one fire department later it's pulled out. I started out with the picture you see below, and by the time it was pulled out, the hood was gone. After pulling it out, I analyze the Jeep to find the entire vehicle is flooded, my entire electrical system is fried, and the unibody is twisted so bad my doors don't open/close. And the worst part is, I only made it in about 10ft, but the mud was so soft I sank like I was in quick sand. The Jeep is a '94 Sport 4dr 4.0L HO with 140,000mi. Do you think it's worth salvaging? I love this thing to death, but is this too much?

l_ebb71b9dad7a4bcb8b28fd069ec1ff81.jpg

***Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this. If it's not, please correct it. Thank you***

Sorry, but between the the twisted unibody, the water damage, and the dead electrical system, there's no way it's gonna be worth trying to fix it up.

its gone. think of it this way you now have a parts vehicle for your next XJ.

A bit of advice though.......always always check the waters before you dive in. Like you said the last time you where there was 3 years ago. Unfortunately you learned the hard way this time.

how the heck did your unibody get twisted from that??? I imagine it was from trying to yank it out.

If the unibody wasn't damaged, I'd say your fine because I've had my 98 completely flooded before and it killed the computer and several pulley bearings. It took me about a month of diagnosing, but I finally figured out that's what it was and replaced the comp. and it's been great ever since.

Unibody being twisted does it for me... I wouldn't really be afraid of the electrical issues personally. How's the engine, did it get badly damaged by the water? Hydrolocked?

I say keep it for a spare parts machine for your next XJ.

its a parts truck.....get it home,park it in the sun with doors open to dry out and keep from molding and stinking inside. Drain all the fluids out of whatever parts ya want to keep to get rid of the water and refill to keep from rusting.

The unibody got twisted, as stated, by trying to pull it out. It took two full size wreckers to pull it out since it sank in the mud. The only problem is, I don't have the money to buy another vehicle, this either gets sold as a parts vehicle or sits until I get the money to fix everything. The unibody isn't twisted too bad, I just can't open my hatch and my doors no longer line up. The fire dept responded because A. I am a firefighter, so they will always respond to help a fellow firefighter out, and B. Because that's just how my township works. Any vehicular incident gets an automatic fire dept, police, and medical dispatch.

Replaced the wiring harness and ECU. Now I have a few questions. My alternator I know is fried, so that gauge not working is a no brainer, but I have no oil pressure. At idle, the oil pressure gauge will go all the way to the right, swing back to the middle, back to the right, and bounce between both sides of the gauge. I was very low on oil when I first got it towed home, so I changed the oil and filter, and still have this problem. Does anybody know what it is?

P.S. My muffler is filled with mud.. it's pretty neat watching me drive down the street and a dirt cloud cover everything in my trail. The only bad thing is I have waayyy too much backpressure. Something I never thought I would see.

I wouldn't be too quick to write off the alternator. I've opened them up and found them packed full of mud, washed them out, let them dry and had them work fine afterwards. I don't even bother to open them up anymore, I wash them out with really hot water, using the spray nozzle in the bath tube. Blow them out with air, let them dry overnight in a warm spot and *most* times they work fine. Though splitting the case makes for a more thorough cleaning and reduces the chances of having to clean them out again if a missed piece of mud finds it's way into the brushes.
My oil pressure needle was dancing between half and max, with occasional low readings. Turned out to be a oil covered and loose connector at the sender.

The connector itself is loose on my oil pressure sender. Last time i replaced the oil filter, when the wrench finally broke loose, it snapped the oil pressure sender unit off, so I replaced it, but the end that plugs into it is what's loose on the new wiring harness. What can I do about this?

I bought a reconditioned alternator with a 1 year, but the pulley is about a half inch smaller than my old one. What does this mean? Is it a higher or lower amp alternator? It came off of a '91 Cherokee. My belt now squeals like a banshee, even though my belt is pretty snug.

The connector itself is loose on my oil pressure sender. Last time i replaced the oil filter, when the wrench finally broke loose, it snapped the oil pressure sender unit off, so I replaced it, but the end that plugs into it is what's loose on the new wiring harness. What can I do about this?

I bought a reconditioned alternator with a 1 year, but the pulley is about a half inch smaller than my old one. What does this mean? Is it a higher or lower amp alternator? It came off of a '91 Cherokee. My belt now squeals like a banshee, even though my belt is pretty snug.

Count the number of grooves in the pulley (they may have screwed up), I have the same thing on my 88, a smaller diameter pulley from an 88 Chev.. Physics says, the smaller the pulley the more revolutions at the same engine speed. It may not have any more peak amperage, but is likely to generate more amperage at a lower RPM.
If they put the wrong pulley on there, it may have the wrong number of ridges and grooves.

Wash the mud off, dry it out, park it in the yard, and part it out. Then, use the proceeds to buy one that is straight and hasn't been beat to death in the mud by a bunch of lunatics. Then start throwing money at that one.

I started out with the picture you see below, and by the time it was pulled out, the hood was gone.

I can understand how unibody can get tweaked by some lacky with a tow truck but how on earth was the hood gone?

Count the number of grooves in the pulley (they may have screwed up), I have the same thing on my 88, a smaller diameter pulley from an 88 Chev.. Physics says, the smaller the pulley the more revolutions at the same engine speed. It may not have any more peak amperage, but is likely to generate more amperage at a lower RPM.
If they put the wrong pulley on there, it may have the wrong number of ridges and grooves.

Same number of grooves, just a smaller pulley. My cousin asked me what I did to make my headlights brighter because they have always been very dim, so I think this alternator is charging better than my old one.

Back