• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding on an OEM tow hook?

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, we have a post 97' XJ that needs a front tow hook. There is some body damage on the passenger side of the front bumper. This has caused the unibody to cave inwards where the 3 stock bolt on locations are. This will make replacing the front bumper a decent project.

However, wanting to take the heep wheeling this coming weekend, we were debating welding on an OEM tow hook to the underside of the driver side unibody just under the stock OEM bumper mounts. Good plan or no?

No Way!Why not just install a drivers side kit?

i have a rusty's tow hook bracket that i just took off. it's a little bent but temporarily will work. has the tow hook still attached. if you want it pm me

Don't even think about welding the tow hook.

I wouldn't weld a tow hook even to something that is strong enough to hold it, which the unibody is not. I also would not hook up to and pull on someone who has a welded hook.

Ha, got the answer. Thanks guys!

Back