• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Lengths?!?!

SeeJay

NAXJA Forum User
I just recieved my parts from Rustys offroad and am not sure that I recieved the right parts. I ordered 4 new shocks and not sure they are long enough. The jeep has roughly 5-6 inches of lift I was hoping someone could confirm how long their shocks are for this lift height. I am looking for extended and compressed lengths.

Please respond quickly, looking to install these shocks tonight if they are correct.

I have their 6" shocks on mine. I can't tell you the compressed length but i can tell you the shock body length and part number. My front's are about 17 1/8" from center of bottom eye to top of the shock body, and it has C224B1 printed on it. Hope this helps! BTW i love these shocks makes it ride real nice. :)

take any current shock off then go flex yours out and measure.... then measure against the shocks that were sent you. I would never rely on the stock shock measurements from a kit. there are way to many variables. one major one is tire size....a.k.a. where are your bump stops needing to be? Will you hit the bump stops before bottoming out the shock(oh I hope so, shocks can get expensive to keep replacing). Will the shock act as a limiter or does your suspension stop before that? etc etc

take any current shock off then go flex yours out and measure.... then measure against the shocks that were sent you. I would never rely on the stock shock measurements from a kit. there are way to many variables. one major one is tire size....a.k.a. where are your bump stops needing to be? Will you hit the bump stops before bottoming out the shock(oh I hope so, shocks can get expensive to keep replacing). Will the shock act as a limiter or does your suspension stop before that? etc etc

Thats why I like my 2.2's! They have bumpstops built in! I just put them where they hit the bumpstops before the tire smacks the fender, which in return gives LOTS of droop!

I have their 6" shocks on mine. I can't tell you the compressed length but i can tell you the shock body length and part number. My front's are about 17 1/8" from center of bottom eye to top of the shock body, and it has C224B1 printed on it. Hope this helps! BTW i love these shocks makes it ride real nice. :)

Thanks for the information! I will definitely check the numbers when I get home. Was this the number off the fronts or the rears?

So after looking at the packaging and checking more part numbers it looks like I was sent shocks for a 4-5inch lift when I really need shocks for a 6 inch lift.

Other than having the shock ultimately limit my suspension travel when the axle drops, what else could happen?

So after looking at the packaging and checking more part numbers it looks like I was sent shocks for a 4-5inch lift when I really need shocks for a 6 inch lift.

Other than having the shock ultimately limit my suspension travel when the axle drops, what else could happen?

If it bottoms out the shock too hard it might blow the shock and you'll need to replace it.... and that number was off a front shock. I'd call rusty about it he has always been cool with me.

Yeah I will probably be giving those guys a call back sometime tomorrow, just means more waiting for the right parts though....this sucks.

Yeah I will probably be giving those guys a call back sometime tomorrow, just means more waiting for the right parts though....this sucks.
I know exactly what you mean man. :(

Well I finally went and flexed out the jeep, as best as I could anyways. I had just about 26" from upper shock mount to lower shock mount. Which just so happens to be the same measurement as the rear shock I have when fully extended shock eye to eye. I hope that since I plan on lowering the rear down about an inch and a half that it will work out alright with the shocks I was sent.

Off topic but I measured a stock XJ sitting in a used car lot and it had center of wheel hub to bodyline measurements of 22.5" in the front and 25" in the rear. While my jeep had 27.5" in the front and 32.5" in the rear. So as best as I can figure it has 5" lift in the front and 7.5" lift in the rear. Time to drop the back down and throw some 33x12.50s on this thing b/c it looks absolutely ridiculous with 31x10.50s haha.

Last edited:
Back